Utah My529 error - any other 529 plans that work with Quicken download

and4014
and4014 Member ✭✭
I see My529 (Utah) stopped supporting Quicken downloads. Which plans still do automatic downloads into Quicken?

One firm told me they support MS Money but could not come to an agreement with Quicken. It's one of the big reasons I am using Quicken.

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Not sure what the issue is - as there have been several postings regarding - Utah My529 - and then the topic was closed by mods/admin. You can do a SEARCH up top on the Home menu screen.
    Again - there is a valid entry listed - My529 -
    So... what happens when you try and setup the Add Account ?
    Is there something on the UESP website that you have to enable - for 3rd party access like Quicken software ?
    12340    12340    12340    my529 - UESP    http://www.my529.org    (800) 418-2551    https://login.my529.org/OfxTerms.aspx    ACTIVE   
    INVESTMENT,ACCOUNTINFO&DIRECT                 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• gourdo
    gourdo Member
    Utah 529 (my529) has recently (July 2021) abandoned supporting Quicken transaction download. This was communicated a few months ago. Sucks for us Quicken users, but it is what it is.
  • and4014
    and4014 Member ✭✭
    To clarify, I called Utah My529 this week and they confirmed Quicken downloads are a thing of the past.
    Quicken just haven't cleared out this and probably other institutions (529 plan and others, probably) that are just not supported, which cause us users to spin our wheels on these support forums.

So, the question remains... does anyone know which 529 plans are well rated and Quicken download supported? I love the simplicity. Thanks.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    and4014 said:
    To clarify, I called Utah My529 this week and they confirmed Quicken downloads are a thing of the past.
    Well... to clarify.... the list and ability to find and perform the Add Account for MY529 is totally controlled by UESP.
    Quicken is a business that companies contract with to support downloading of transactions.
    If UESP has indeed stopped supporting Quicken downloads - they have not communicated that to Quicken,
    and therefore the UESP entry is still listed and avail to Add Account.... from Quicken's point of view.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Richard LeSavoy
    Richard LeSavoy Member ✭✭
    My Utah 529 accounts have not been downloading for two weeks. Any thoughts on how to make this work again. Unable to re-set or download.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Richard LeSavoy, 

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. I apologize you are having difficulties downloading your transactions. To better assist you I need more information. For instance, what is the name of the financial institution? What error codes/messages are you getting? What connection method are you using? To clarify, when you state you are unable to download are you referring to the One Step Update or downloading from the FI's website itself? 

Once more information is obtained we can move forward in diagnosing the issue. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    See this.  It looks like the Utah 529 plan has dropped Q.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• johneling
    johneling Member
    There is no question that the UESP 529 has dropped their Quicken interface. They did not specify why, though other sites suggest fees? It would seem with the various community comments that it would not be hard for Quicken to confirm that. I don't know why they haven't, other than perhaps not wanting to reveal the "why".

The question becomes, is there an easy way to take a CSV transaction file, which UESP will allow one to export, and then convert it into a qfx file that Quicken can import? There are various programs on the internet to convert csv to Quicken format. However, the issue seems to be the format of the CSV file that MyUesp exports. As one would expect, any conversion program needs to know the location of various data fields in the input file to map the conversion into the format Quicken requires. I am unaware of any industry standard for csv files. When myUESP exports, each transaction has two rows and the columns are used for different data in each row. Without massaging the csv file, I don't see how to overcome. It appears massaging the csv file each month would be more hassle than manually entering the data. That said, I spent over an hour manually entering a quarter's worth of data today.

Absent UESP committing to changing the format of their csv file and/or someone writing a specific conversion program utilizing UESP's current csv format, I don't see a good solution other than manual entry or looking to see if there are other as higly rated 529 plans that are Quicken compatible.
  • and4014
    and4014 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the comment. I agree with everything you said. I called a couple other 529 plans and it seems they do not support direct downloads to Quicken either.
    Still wondering which ones do. Just because the institution is present in the Quicken "add account" screen does not mean it works.
  • terpsucka2
    terpsucka2 Member ✭✭
    It would be quite crappy if it's true that My529 stopped supporting Quicken because Quicken charges them-- users are already paying subscription fees for the right to download their data, quicken also charging institutions limits the usefulness of their customers' subscription purchase.
  • stusser
    stusser Member ✭✭
    Unable to set up account for PA my529
  • stusser
    stusser Member ✭✭
    Unable to set up account for PA my529. Had long session with support to no avail.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to echo my previous comment...
    Quicken is a business that companies contract with to support downloading of transactions.
    You as a user, then pay Quicken to use their software, and download from "contracted" financial institutions.
    If a FI choses to NOT contract with Quicken - it is no different than a cable channel choosing not to contract with specific cable companies... and therefore, you may not receive that specific channel, even if you are paying the cable company.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10