Using Find And Replace Hit A Stopping Point

Options
I've been using Find and Replace to find subcategories, give them a tag, and then change the subcategory to the parent. It's been working fine all through the category list until I got to the W's. I can find the subcategory, select All, Change the tag, select Change All - and nothing happens. I think it has to do with the category list itself, because that's what Validate and Repair seems to focus on, but it doesn't get fixed. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken, and the problem follows.
What am I missing?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "I've been using Find and Replace to find subcategories, give them a tag, and then change the subcategory to the parent."
    Am I understanding you to say that you're effectively eliminating all SubCategories in your file, replacing the SubCategory with a Tag, and moving the dollars associated with the for SubCategory into the parent Category?  If that's the case I'd advise you not to do that since the program's control over Tags is substantially less than the control exercised over SubCategories and it's vastly easier to make mistakes in your coding of transactions.  If I've overstated your undertaking and it's just "some" SubCategories that are being eliminated, then "never mind."
    As to your real problem...  I'm not sure you're missing anything as far as how the program should function and you've done the uninstall/reinstall routine that should do the job if the issue is program-related.  If Validate and Repair seems to be stumbling over the Category (parent or subcategory?) then the issue might be data-related.  What is Validate and Repair reporting? 
  • burtonvoss3345
    burtonvoss3345 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Tom:
    Not deleting all subcategories - some.
    Here's the Validate and Repair log:
    QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Fixed damaged category. Please check your category list by going to Tools>Category List.
    Quicken repaired ACCT_503 account. No action required.
This discussion has been closed.