How can I show a voided transaction in the register? (Q Mac)

DONM1146
DONM1146 Member ✭✭
How can I show a voided transaction in the register?

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    It's a matter of personal preference. Some people like to mimic what the old Quicken 2007 did by putting VOID in the Payee name field (e.g. "VOID-ABC Store"). But this creates a new and separate Payee, and in my opinion, that's not what you want at all; you want a record of who the transaction was to AND that it was voided.

So I first edit the Memo/Notes field to add VOID, the original dollar amount, and perhaps a reason: "VOID $123.45-Check never cleared bank". Then change the Amount to zero. The next time you reconcile, mark the transaction cleared. This way, you have the transaction attached to the original Payee, you have documented how much the transaction was supposed to be, and cleared it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    DONM1146 said:
    This seems pretty cumbersome compared to the QuickBooks way of voiding a check on a PC: CTL+V, and voila, the check is voided! Maybe someday Quicken will come around. Such is life!
    Its really not a problem, in my opinion. How many voided transactions do you have per year? Unless it's more than a handful, then manually curating your voids is not an issue.

I did not like the way the legacy Quicken Mac handled voids, because it wiped out the original amount, which I wanted to have a record of; doing it manually allows me to retain the data I found useful.

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    It's a matter of personal preference. Some people like to mimic what the old Quicken 2007 did by putting VOID in the Payee name field (e.g. "VOID-ABC Store"). But this creates a new and separate Payee, and in my opinion, that's not what you want at all; you want a record of who the transaction was to AND that it was voided.

So I first edit the Memo/Notes field to add VOID, the original dollar amount, and perhaps a reason: "VOID $123.45-Check never cleared bank". Then change the Amount to zero. The next time you reconcile, mark the transaction cleared. This way, you have the transaction attached to the original Payee, you have documented how much the transaction was supposed to be, and cleared it.
  • DONM1146
    DONM1146 Member ✭✭
    This seems pretty cumbersome compared to the QuickBooks way of voiding a check on a PC: CTL+V, and voila, the check is voided! Maybe someday Quicken will come around. Such is life!
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    DONM1146 said:
    Its really not a problem, in my opinion. How many voided transactions do you have per year? Unless it's more than a handful, then manually curating your voids is not an issue.

I did not like the way the legacy Quicken Mac handled voids, because it wiped out the original amount, which I wanted to have a record of; doing it manually allows me to retain the data I found useful.
This discussion has been closed.