What is wrong with Online Updating

Roy Van Brunt
Roy Van Brunt Member ✭✭✭
I have accounts in Quicken with Wells Fargo and an AMEX card. NOTHING is downloading correctly; randomly the account numbers in Account Detail seem to corrupt from all digits to a mixture of letters and numbers, and change accounts to which activity is downloaded; credit cards in Wells Fargo get linked to American Express. This morning the update reported transactions downloaded for Wells Fargo, but not one transaction actually showed up in any account!

I've been a Quicken user for over 25 years and I have never seen you this screwed up, There was a lengthly delay over the weekend to sync with an "improved cloud" - but it's been worse since that happened. Is there an explanation or suggestion? I have deactivated every update until this is addressed, and now have to depend on manually comparing the balances atthe bank's website and manually post activity into Quicken. This is absurd!

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once an account has been activated for online transaction downloading, the account number field in the Edit Account Details dialog may be changed to contain a number or code used by the bank to recognize your account.
    For example, my AmEx account's account number field now contains an encrypted card number followed by "|" and the last 5 digits of the clear text card number.
    Please do not attempt to change this number. Things may go haywire if you do.
  • Roy Van Brunt
    Roy Van Brunt Member ✭✭✭
    Well, thanks,....but do you think it would be nice if you told subscribers that? Fortunately I transcribed the alphabetic stuff for AMEX and can go back and chan
    ge it.

Does it explain why WellsFargo's accounts continually change which account they post to? Does it explain how or why,when I post the categories for my IRA distrubution, the other haalf of the entry does not simultaneously post to the checking and withholding accounts?
  • Roy Van Brunt
    Roy Van Brunt Member ✭✭✭
    And the problem I am now experiencing is that when I open Quicken it's not opening the same file that I closed the last time. For example, my Wells Fargo checking account has years of history, but it opens with a ridiculously inaccurate balance and with just one month or so of activity
  • Roy Van Brunt
    Roy Van Brunt Member ✭✭✭
    Well I apologize for expressing my extreme frustration. I've spent hours trying to straighten this out and nothing in my long years with Quicken approaches this problem.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the problem I am now experiencing is that when I open Quicken it's not opening the same file that I closed the last time. For example, my Wells Fargo checking account has years of history, but it opens with a ridiculously inaccurate balance and with just one month or so of activity

Are you sure "Quicken is not opening the same file ..."?
    By default, unless overridden in your Desktop program icon for Quicken, the same file that was open the last time is opened again today.
    Please review the File Menu. At the bottom of the menu there will be a list of up to 4 last used files.
    The entry marked "1" is the currently open file.
    Numbers "2", "3" and "4" are previously used files, with "2" being the most recently used previous file, then "3", then "4".
    Which of the entries, 1 - 4, is pointing to the file you think Quicken should be using?
    Or could it simply be that the register view you are looking at was sorted or filtered inadvertently and is now showing unexpected results?

Filtered register? Unexpected register sort order? "Missing" data?

Please review https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7181795/faq-register-messed-up-missing-transactions-or-not-showing-transactions-as-it-used-to

• Roy Van Brunt
    Roy Van Brunt Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Today I saw the box in the register that dictates how much of the register displays. I'd never see nor changed it. Also, today for the first time the bank matched the right accounts to the correct download, so I'm 95 % of the way to restored sanity. Thanks for the input. [removed- off-topic/inaccurate]
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, good. I could hear you banging your head all the way to my place ... :smiley:
    If there's anything the Community can do to help, please post a new question.

• Roy Van Brunt
    Roy Van Brunt Member ✭✭✭
    Oh, Gosh! Was it that loud? Sorry. :-) I actually have it sorted. A related question, for Wells Fargo's account holders - is there no no actual way to pay bills via a check too the vendor ( other than printing your own). i.e., there is no check-paying scheme currently via Quicken? Is that right?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A related question, for Wells Fargo's account holders - is there no no actual way to pay bills via a check too the vendor ( other than printing your own). i.e., there is no check-paying scheme currently via Quicken? Is that right?
    I don't have Wells Fargo accounts and don't know what kind of bill pay service they offer on the bank's website, what that includes, up to and including service fees.
    Quicken has the Bill Manager function which offers Quick Pay and Check Pay services, provided by a third party service. Their lead time for generating and mailing paper checks is, at this time, very long (about 2 weeks), so beware of late payments.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-windows-frequently-asked-questions
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-how-make-payments-using-quick-pay-and-check-pay
    If your vendor supports it, Quick Pay might be the better way than Check Pay.
    Alternatively, for recurring bills like utility bills or paying off full balance on your credit cards every month, I'd recommend you set up Auto Pay, Direct Debit or whatever the vendor calls it on the vendor's website and let them worry about making an electronic debit from your checking account (or a credit card account) on Due Date.
    If all else fails, there still is the old fashioned method: Write or print a paper check yourself, with Quicken. That's what I have to do for some of my bills, but the majority is done using Auto Pay by the vendor.

• Roy Van Brunt
    Roy Van Brunt Member ✭✭✭
    total agreement. I thik the delay in delivery tmes was one thing that encouraged Wells Fargo to get out of providing that service. Thanks