How can I merge two assets that are really the same?

I have had a mutual fund for decades and entered the monthly reinvested dividends manually. Last year I found I could download them from their web site (Nuveen). It downloads with a slightly different (more specific) name, and Quicken insists that they are two different funds, even though the symbol is the same for both. total value is OK because Quicken adds the two together, but I can not get Quicken to merge the two Share totals into one.
Both items have the same symbol, but when I try and give them both the same name Quicken refuses.
Quicken phone support was zero help.

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I suspect you may have mismatched the Quicken security. 

The CUSIP ID is provided by the financial institution when we download transactions. The CUSIP ID is assigned to a Quicken security when we match an online security to a Quicken security.   Quicken should prompt to match an online security to a Quicken security when the financial institution provides a security with a CUSIP ID that has not been assigned to a Quicken security.  If a Quicken security has been mismatched, we may uncheck Matched with online security on the Edit Security Details window and the Quicken security will become available to be matched to an online security when Quicken next encounters an unmatched online security.

I suggest you uncheck Matched with online security for the mismatched securities.

If you have two Quicken securities for the same security, the only way to resolve the issue is to replace the occurrences of one of the securities with the other.  When one of the securities is no longer referenced, you will be able to delete the security.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Sherlock
    I may have misled you. I do not allow Quicken to have my portfolio on the cloud so there is no online asset that I know of???
    It is also possible that I did not download direct, but had to download a file and import (we are talking a Nuveen mutual fund).
    I CAN edit an individual transaction and change it from one asset name to the other. That worked, but I can't do it as a group or by asset name alone. As there are monthly reinvestment transactions since 1992, doing it by hand is not an option. Obviously.
    Any other suggestions?
    I don't think you've misled me.

If you imported share balances, prices, or transactions obtained from a financial institution, you matched a Quicken security to an online security.  

My suggestion is to replace the security with the fewer number of transactions.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    Thanks. Yes, less than a dozen of the "New" one. Of course that means I will have to continue entering by hand, although a more studied download attempt now I know the danger will be worth a try.
    Anyway, I really appreciate your prompt help!
    I am a bit surprised that Quicken let me enter the same symbol for both but wouldn't do a merge. (No need to answer. :) )
    After you have deleted the "New" one and, if necessary, have unchecked the Matched with online security on the original security, Quicken should prompt to match the online security to a Quicken security when you import again.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I suspect you may have mismatched the Quicken security. 

The CUSIP ID is provided by the financial institution when we download transactions. The CUSIP ID is assigned to a Quicken security when we match an online security to a Quicken security.   Quicken should prompt to match an online security to a Quicken security when the financial institution provides a security with a CUSIP ID that has not been assigned to a Quicken security.  If a Quicken security has been mismatched, we may uncheck Matched with online security on the Edit Security Details window and the Quicken security will become available to be matched to an online security when Quicken next encounters an unmatched online security.

I suggest you uncheck Matched with online security for the mismatched securities.

If you have two Quicken securities for the same security, the only way to resolve the issue is to replace the occurrences of one of the securities with the other.  When one of the securities is no longer referenced, you will be able to delete the security.
  • Clive Walden
    Clive Walden Member ✭✭
    Thanks Sherlock
    I may have misled you. I do not allow Quicken to have my portfolio on the cloud so there is no online asset that I know of???
    It is also possible that I did not download direct, but had to download a file and import (we are talking a Nuveen mutual fund).
    I CAN edit an individual transaction and change it from one asset name to the other. That worked, but I can't do it as a group or by asset name alone. As there are monthly reinvestment transactions since 1992, doing it by hand is not an option. Obviously.
    Any other suggestions?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Sherlock
    Any other suggestions?
    I don't think you've misled me.

If you imported share balances, prices, or transactions obtained from a financial institution, you matched a Quicken security to an online security.  

My suggestion is to replace the security with the fewer number of transactions.
  • Clive Walden
    Clive Walden Member ✭✭
    Thanks. Yes, less than a dozen of the "New" one. Of course that means I will have to continue entering by hand, although a more studied download attempt now I know the danger will be worth a try.
    I am a bit surprised that Quicken let me enter the same symbol for both but wouldn't do a merge. (No need to answer. :) )
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    After you have deleted the "New" one and, if necessary, have unchecked the Matched with online security on the original security, Quicken should prompt to match the online security to a Quicken security when you import again.