Auto categorizing incorrectly.

Hi, when my wife or I write a check, the payee is listed as "check" which is fine. But the problem is quicken has been automatically categorizing all of these as "Farm" category.

Which I probably set myself without realizing it. So every time we write a check it goes to this category and I have to remember to go in and change it.

Even if i can just set these as uncategorized, that would be an improvement because at least it will show on the screen that I need to categorize a few transactions. We don't write a lot of checks, so manually categorizing them is not a big deal.

All of my other transactions categorize correctly(credit cards/debit cards). Anyone know how to fix this? Any suggestions?

Thank you

[edited for readability]

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @rjhalland

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your categories. I'm wondering if you might need to edit in the quickfill rules. 

1. Go to Window → Payees & Rules.
    2. Select QuickFill Rules.
    3. Double click on the payee and change the rule to your preferences.

Once you get a chance to try these steps, please let us know if you're able to get the categories sorted. If not we'll see what we can try next to resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    As Francisco said above, the key is finding and editing the QuickFill rule for payee "check". I wanted to addd that you can have a QuickFill rule with no category, an you can check the two checkboxes at the bottom of the screen to make this the default rule for this payee and to lock this rule so it isn't changed as you edit individual transactions.

After that's fixed, you may want to consider manually entered the checks you write in Quicken ; then when your transactions with "check" payees download, Quicken will either automatically match them to your manually-entered transaction, or you can drag one over the other to manually match them. Why bother? Because if you manually enter your checks, you can have QuickFill rules for Payees you pay multiple times, so it will save you from having to do so much re-categorization. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • rjhalland
    rjhalland Member
    I will give this a try and let you know if it works. Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.