Bill and Income Reminders Graph

Options
I'm confused with the amount that is appearing in the Bill and Income Reminders graph quantity does not seem to reflect any of the balances that I have in my accounts. Is there a way to correct this? Sometimes, it is off by double the amount. I tried selecting multiple accounts and then selecting only the checking account but that did not make a difference. What am I missing? In other words, what is the graph really trying to show me?
~Mike

Best Answer

• miikebauer
    miikebauer Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I resolved this issue by archiving my Quicken file and then creating a new file that only contained the past three years. The new file showed a lot of overdue reminders that the full file had not. After removing these erroneous overdue reminders, the issue went away. Now the Bill and Income Reminders windows matches what is going on in the register.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suspect you may be referring to the Projected Balances view on the Bills & Income tab.  The Projected Balances view includes the account's reminders so it won't match the account balances unless you show the reminders in the register.  The Project Balances view is known to have a few bugs.  For example, it doesn't handle reminders for split transactions (like paychecks) that include transfers to other accounts properly.

We use the view to determine when we will need to transfer funds to our payment account and to check if we're going to exceed a credit limit on a cash back card we use too often.
  • miikebauer
    miikebauer Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Sherlock,
    You are correct that it is the Projected Balances graph. I understand the concept the it "should" show the current balance minus any reminders that have not been entered into the account but there is something REALLY gone wrong. I will use round figures for my example: If I sort the account register by cleared, then the current balance is 9000. If I sort the account by date, then the current balance is 8000 (I keep a buffer amount to ensure I do not bounce checks). Now going over to the Projected Balances graph and only selecting the same account, today's balance is 4000. That is a huge difference and it does not account for split transactions which I only use mainly for categories instead of accounts. What do I need to search for or look at to find this discrepancy? PS: I always balance my accounts to the penny before using Quicken so this is driving me crazy. It was not always like this. I am a long time user of Quicken (10 to 15 years now) and the projected balance was always close (within my buffer range). Any thoughts or what to check on? PSS: The account in question has entries that go back to 2015. Maybe it is time to save it off and then only save this year's information.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi Sherlock,
    You are correct that it is the Projected Balances graph. I understand the concept the it "should" show the current balance minus any reminders that have not been entered into the account but there is something REALLY gone wrong. I will use round figures for my example: If I sort the account register by cleared, then the current balance is 9000. If I sort the account by date, then the current balance is 8000 (I keep a buffer amount to ensure I do not bounce checks). Now going over to the Projected Balances graph and only selecting the same account, today's balance is 4000. That is a huge difference and it does not account for split transactions which I only use mainly for categories instead of accounts. What do I need to search for or look at to find this discrepancy? PS: I always balance my accounts to the penny before using Quicken so this is driving me crazy. It was not always like this. I am a long time user of Quicken (10 to 15 years now) and the projected balance was always close (within my buffer range). Any thoughts or what to check on? PSS: The account in question has entries that go back to 2015. Maybe it is time to save it off and then only save this year's information.
    The difference between the register's current balance and today's projected balance should be the due and past due reminders: press Ctrl + J

• miikebauer
    miikebauer Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Sherlock said:
    > The difference between the register's current balance and today's projected balance should be the due and past due reminders: press Ctrl + J

Exactly - it does not. I get to the projected balance by using Ctrl-J. Any info/help/suggestion from the Quicken Team?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options
    > @Sherlock said:
    > The difference between the register's current balance and today's projected balance should be the due and past due reminders: press Ctrl + J

Exactly - it does not. I get to the projected balance by using Ctrl-J. Any info/help/suggestion from the Quicken Team?
    Ctrl + J opens the Bill and Income Reminders windows and should allow you to see the due and past due reminders.  If you're not seeing any due or past due reminders, you may want to review: https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Troubleshoot+a+damaged+Quicken+data+file

If you would like Any info/help/suggestion from the Quicken Team, I suggest you contact Quicken Support: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options
  • miikebauer
    miikebauer Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I resolved this issue by archiving my Quicken file and then creating a new file that only contained the past three years. The new file showed a lot of overdue reminders that the full file had not. After removing these erroneous overdue reminders, the issue went away. Now the Bill and Income Reminders windows matches what is going on in the register.
This discussion has been closed.