Looking for workaround so I don't have to manually "match security" for a large IRA fund

cjdquick
cjdquick Member
edited August 2021 in Investing (Windows)
The IRA consists of more than 200 discrete securities. In Quicken I executed TOOLS -> ADD ACCOUNT and entered my credentials to download the data from my new IRA. Problem is Q then wants me to match each security that's to be imported. This takes waaaay too long. Is there a quicker way to successfully import the discrete securities that comprise the IRA? There is no single ticker symbol for the IRA. It purposely is composed of many individual securities.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Problem is Q then wants me to match each security that's to be imported."
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that.  Are you referring to establishing the security in your security list, or something else?  If it's the process of establishing 200 individual securities I'm not sure if there is a way of doing that other than one at a time. 
    It's generally an interactive process where Quicken goes out to find the Ticker and other information about the security so some sort of "import" would tend to bypass that process.
    Side question: what's the perceived advantage of having 200 discrete securities in the Account as opposed to some sort of fund/ETF that has those same 200 securities?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don’t want to track all 200+ securities, you might investigate the Simple investing option within Quicken. That appears to focus more on the overall account value rather than each security and transaction.