Reporting for 401k Cash Source

I have a 401k account which I am managing in Quicken. The funds in the account are primarily for a Roth 401k; however, new investments were switched to a standard 401k for the past few years. As a result, the cash sources for investments include Employee Tax-Free, Company Matched, and Roth contributions. Catch-Up contributions were also made under the Roth and standard accounts.

My question involves the Cash Source feature in Quicken, which is used to identify whether the funding is considered Employee Pre-Tax, Employer Match, and/or Employee After Tax. I’ve heard this Cash Source feature was only partially implemented in Quicken. If you go to the Online Center and select the 401k account you can see the distinction between PreTax and Other Contributions. The values provided seem to be based on what is provided by the fund administrator rather than what is in reflected in the Cash Source in Quicken.

As part of the reconciliation process, I have updated each fund to correctly reflect the proper Cash Source in Quicken. Is there any reporting in Quicken I can use to view these Cash Source details? Specifically, I’d like to know the amount available in the Roth 401k as withdrawals from this portion of the 401k are tax free.

I am currently using Quicken Deluxe, and have not found any reporting around the Cash Source. Am I missing something? Is any reporting in this area available in Quicken Premier?

Any assistance in this area is much appreciated. Cheers!

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Quicken doesn't provide source tracking.  If you want to track the source, I suggest maintaining distinct accounts.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Quicken doesn't provide source tracking.  If you want to track the source, I suggest maintaining distinct accounts.
This discussion has been closed.