OL-362-A Error from Bank of America after forced account change on BofA side

tronboy
tronboy Member ✭✭
BofA has been sending letters for a couple of months that they are changing features on some accounts and (forcibly) changing other account types for accounts they have chosen to eliminate (or at least eliminate the legacy account type). I have a savings account that was changed to what they now call an advantage savings account, but this account no longer syncs correctly in Quicken. The BofA account number did not change. I receive an OL-362-A error indicating that Quicken has received information from the bank on this changed account, but Quicken is no longer able to match the account. I've tried the usual steps of resetting the account and then deactivating/reactivating. Quicken claims the account was reset OK, but it still doesn't sync correctly. When I deactivate the account and attempt to reactivate, the account shows in activation account list (from BofA), and I select the option to relink to my existing Quicken account. This process fails (repeatedly). I don't know if this matters, but my current Quicken information has this particular account listed as a Savings account, but the BofA information that comes down when I try to reactivate the account shows it as a Money Market account (but BofA's own description this account actually lists it as a savings account). How can I re-establish the online link on this account? I am using Direct Connect connection method.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @tronboy,

Quicken Support staff just posted an Announcement located HERE.  This indicates that your problem is more widespread than we knew.  I suggest that you bookmark this announcement so that you'll be notified when things get sorted-out and fixed.

Let me know if you have any followups. 

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @tronboy,

I would suggest that you first close out and then reopen Quicken.  Next, I suggest that you update the account (or accounts) showing the OL-362-A error code from the account itself, rather than using One Step Update - as follows:

1) Open up the account register;
    2) Click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right;
    3) Click on "Update Now";
    4) Enter your password and hit the "Update Now" button.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• tronboy
    tronboy Member ✭✭
    Hello. Thanks for your note. Unfortunately, updating just the problem account as opposed to using One Step Update did not solve the issue. Same problem, same error code.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @tronboy,

Just double-checking; did you close down Quicken and restart before you tried the update of the problem account?  If not - try that again.

If that doesn't work, please review the guidance located at thus LINK.

Please get back to me with questions and results.

Frankx

• tronboy
    tronboy Member ✭✭
    Yes. Confirmed. I shut down Quicken, restarted and tried just updating the individual account immediately after restarting Quicken. Same problem. I repeated the process this evening also - same problem.

Regarding the extra link you provided, per my original text I tried this a couple of times already. Unfortunately, the account will not correctly reactivate after being deactivated. After deactivating and attempting to reactivate, this account shows up in the list from BofA with the same old account number. I try to "Link to an existing account" with the deactivated account selected, and the online activation fails with an uninformative message and a phone number. This is where I noticed that my original account was set up in Quicken as a Savings account, whereas the corresponding account detected during reactivation is now listed as a Money Market account (even though BofA now markets this account type as a savings). I don't know if this makes a difference or not. At this point I've been restoring a "get out of trouble" backup file that has the account still activated in case someone on the other end figures out what is going on.

To add a little more context, my original savings account was a very old account type that BofA called "Custom Savings." BofA sent letters they were eliminating this type of account and automatically changed the account to an Advantage Savings account. The Quicken failure on this account started immediately after the cut-over date of August 20. I would have to think that other BofA customers are seeing this, but, as I said, this particular account is quite old (1996 time frame is when I opened it).
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Hi @tronboy,

To answer your question - I do not believe that the change in type of account being changed from savings to money market would make a difference or cause you to not be able to download transactions in Quicken.  Additionally, I also don't think the age of the account is a factor, especially since you've already been connecting successfully for some time.

Have you logged into the account on the bank's website recently?  If not, I suggest that you sign in because there may be new security features that need to be addressed in order to continue to connect, given their recent changes that you discuss above.  For example - in the "Sign-In Settings/Security Center" tab you should make sure that "Extra security at sign-in" is set to "OFF".  You should also check the settings in the "Security Alerts" tab - suggest that they be set to "OFF", and the "Third-Party Site Access" - you may need to give access to Quicken on this tab.

Once you've checked and changed those settings, try to log in again. 

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

• tronboy
    tronboy Member ✭✭
    Hello. Thanks for your help and patience. I did log in to the bank's web site recently, and I went back in this morning to poke around.

The security settings are mostly as you described. The third party site access shows no apps, but I see no way to add an app from this tab. There is only a message that (paraphrased) features on this tab will expand as additional parties adopt our protocol, etc. My other BofA accounts are working as expected (downloaded new transactions this morning successfully), so it seems that access is happening unless there is now something special about this one account.

A Quicken update was pushed overnight, and I took the update this morning. This update did not help this problem.

You're probably already aware of this, but my BofA accounts appear to update in a "block." That is to say, if I manually update just the problem account, it appears that Quicken updates all of the accounts tied to my credentials. The other accounts are updating, and just this one is throwing a problem based on the "last update" date in the status.

Thanks again.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @tronboy,

Thanks for the additional information, it is very helpful.

Can you tell me the "connection method" that this account is using, and whether that connection method is the same or different from the BOA accounts that do connect?  To find the connection methods - Go to: "Tools" > "Account List" > and look at the "Transaction Download" column.

Frankx

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    It could be that the account change by BofA means that something in the account information that is downloaded by BofA is different from what was downloaded before.  If this is the case then Quicken will not be able to match the download with the account in Quicken.  It's a pretty simple fix: 
    1. Backup your data file in case something goes wrong.
    2. Assuming the account is not set up (i.e., it is still deactivated), go to the General tab of Account Details and delete all the Financial Institution Information in the top right quadrant.
    3. Go to the Online Services tab and click on Set Up Now to start the setup process.
    4. When prompted, make sure to link the download with the account in Quicken.
    5. This process might enter some transactions into the account register that are duplicates of what is already entered there.  Duplicates will need to be manually deleted.
    One caveat about this:  OL error codes are usually specific to Direct Connect (DC) connections.  A while back BofA stopped supporting DC connections for new Quicken connections and now only supports Express Web Connect (EWC) for new connections.  It could be that this is also contributing to the problem.  And I am not sure how setting up a new connection for this account might affect the connections of the other accounts.  If you do still get an error code when trying to set up this account I suggest starting the setup process, again, but this time click on "Advanced Options" and make sure to select "Express Web Connect".
    During this process, if data is also downloaded for your other connected accounts and Quicken asks you what to do with it, you could :
    • Link that data to those other accounts (which will probably change your connections for them from DC to EWC), or
    • Select "Don't add to Quicken" for those other accounts.  If you "Don't add..." then your existing DC connections should remain intact and going forward you should have a DC connection for those other accounts and an EWC connection for this problem account, so two updates will occur during OSU.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @tronboy,

Quicken Support staff just posted an Announcement located HERE.  This indicates that your problem is more widespread than we knew.  I suggest that you bookmark this announcement so that you'll be notified when things get sorted-out and fixed.

Let me know if you have any followups. 

Frankx

• tronboy
    tronboy Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I figured that I couldn't be alone. Once everyone attempted an update on Monday I thought the switchboard would light up. I'll follow the main announcement.
  • tronboy
    tronboy Member ✭✭
    Well. An announcement came out that this issue has been resolved. However, it is not resolved for me. But things have changed - or maybe I should say things have further degraded. I am using a DC connection method, and I'm aware the BoA no longer supports DC for new Quicken connections.

After the recent update on this issue from Quicken-central, I tried all of the usual methods (reset account, deactivate/reactivate, and update just the problem account) with no improvement. I'll take that back a little bit, I did the deactivate/reactivate path and the account acts like it got reactivated (reports DC connection and the account number information populates when I remove it per Boatnmaniac's recommendation) even though Quicken popped up an error dialog when I reactivated it. I tried reactivating this account with EWC instead of DC, but it would not let me do this citing the other accounts with the DC setup. I have not yet tried deactivating all of the associated BoA accounts and reactivating them all with EWC. This is probably the next step at some point, but I have to clear out all of my downloaded transactions from these other accounts before I can deactivate them all.

I'm also seeing very weird status for the suspect suspect account. After getting the reactivation error message (but the account looks like it reactivated) I do a manual update on just the suspect savings account (which updates the entire BoA block of accounts), then I get a weird message that Quicken downloaded an email for a credit card account that doesn't exist (the CC account does exist in Quicken). It says I should contact Quicken. Furthermore, I check the update status on the accounts, and it indicates that the suspect savings account did update with a $0 balance as of date 11/27/2034!!????!!! Clearly this makes no sense.

So, in additional to this mis-configured savings account which now reports a bogus balance and update date (probably not fully activated), I now have a mystery Quicken email being downloaded for a credit card account that supposedly doesn't exist in my Quicken database (but it does). Good thing I backed up.

Thoughts??
  • tronboy
    tronboy Member ✭✭
    After 2 months of working on this problem, I finally solved it. I closed the account, and now everything is fine. Too bad the root cause couldn't be determined. This is just more signs-of-the-times to me because BoA has historically had very few technical glitches at all, and until now all were solved without such drastic measures.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @tronboy

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community, although I apologize for the frustration and the drastic measure(s) taken. However, we are glad you were able to find a solution to this persisting issue. We appreciate your feedback and insight on which other users with the same issue will benefit from. 

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma 
This discussion has been closed.