Resolved - Vanguard Mutual Fund Conversion from Investor to Admiral

Options
Catherine Shenoy
Catherine Shenoy Member ✭✭
edited August 2021 in Investing (Windows)
Recently a mutual fund converted from VEMAX VEMBX to VEGBX. When I try to use the Mutual Fund Conversion dialogue box. I get an error saying "No shares available for the acquired security." The transactions downloaded from TDA are Added and Removed Transactions. Not sure why I'm getting this message.

Also, one of the items I need its the price of the new fund at conversion. I can back it out, but it's not given by TDA. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    [Edit - typos] The reason that the conversion is not working is that the downloaded Removed transaction has removed the shares you want to convert. 

You should back up your data file, then delete the Removed and Added transactions, then try the conversion again.

You should be able to look up the share price for the new security on Morningstar or Yahoo Finance.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    [Edit - typos] The reason that the conversion is not working is that the downloaded Removed transaction has removed the shares you want to convert. 

You should back up your data file, then delete the Removed and Added transactions, then try the conversion again.

You should be able to look up the share price for the new security on Morningstar or Yahoo Finance.
  • Catherine Shenoy
    Options
    Thanks. That worked. It also helps to get the ticker of the old fund entered correctly!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Catherine Shenoy said: Recently a mutual fund converted from VEMAX VEMBX to VEGBX.
    You converted the Vanguard EM Stock Bond Investor to the Vanguard EM Bond Admiral ?
    It was VEMBX to VEGBX
    OK - better - corrected a couple of places for the VEMBX Bond fund -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    Options
    Ps56k2 said:
    Catherine Shenoy said: Recently a mutual fund converted from VEMAX to VEGBX.
    You converted the Vanguard EM Stock to the Vanguard EM Bond ?

Hopefully it was VEIEX, an Admiral to Investor share class conversion or the other way around.

If you actually sold the stock fund and bought the bond fund, what Vanguard calls an exchange, the Mutual Fund Conversion is the wrong way to do it.
  • Catherine Shenoy
    Options
    It was VEMBX to VEGBX