Can I limit the categories available to a particular account - have Personal & Business ?

Options
njnative2
njnative2 Member ✭✭
I have personal and business accounts on Quicken. Is there a way to limit the accounts Categories available to each business account so that I don't have to wade through the full list that includes all my personal categories? I've assigned the business categories to category groups, but I'm not sure how that helps me.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options
    No.  Categories are global.

As for Category groups they are used in reports and budgets.  They aren't used for filtering in places like the register lists.

EDIT
    I should have said that in the reports and budgets the category groups are used just for that, as in grouping certain categories together in the report/budget.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • njnative2
    njnative2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you Chris.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have Quicken 2013 for Windows and when I click on the Category field I can choose Business or Personal category to narrow it down.  See screen shot.  Don't you get this?  Have you assigned all your Business categories to a schedule C tax line item?  Second screen shot.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Thanks @volvogirl now that you point it out that does help I think.

P.S. But I will point out that this is only for the built-in category groups, it doesn't show the custom groups one might have created.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • njnative2
    njnative2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks @volvogirl, but I don't get that. My list only shows Personal Income, Personal Expenses, Investment, Transfers, and All Categories. Any thoughts on how I find the Business Income and Business Expenses categories?
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As I said you need to assign your business categories to a Schedule C tax line to show up as business for reports and other places.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.