Clear out old data to start fresh

I just got a new version of Quicken after giving up on it many years ago (different story). When I installed, I guess I said to use my old data. But now when I start up Quicken, it dies immediately. I tried renaming the data files, hoping that Quicken would create empty ones, but that didn't work. How can I clean out the old data and start from scratch?

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know about your "dying" problem.  But you can just start a new blank file to start fresh.  Go up to File-New Quicken File.  You can have as many different separate data files that you want.  Your data is not kept in the program but in separate data files.

There is a way to start Quicken without opening a data file but I can't find the steps right now.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    volvogirl said:
    There is a way to start Quicken without opening a data file but I can't find the steps right now. 
    Hold CTRL while starting Quicken.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks.  I finally found it in all my notes.  Been searching all this time for it!

If you hold down CTRL when starting Quicken from its desktop icon, Quicken will not try to open any file. It won't take you directly to the File open dialog, but it's easy enough to get there (the only menu options available when Quicken starts that way are "File" and "Help").

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• utterbee6
    utterbee6 Member
    Well, that looked promising - I could tell it to create a new file - but it still died immediately. I opened again w/ CTRL key and picked the file I just created, and it died immediately. Tried again and it waited a tad bit longer to get my hopes up... and then died. I have a Windows 10 system. This really shouldn't be this hard! :-(
  • utterbee6
    utterbee6 Member
    I appreciate your help, tho! Any other thoughts? I'll try their chat feature... I'm sure that'll be so enjoyable.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    utterbee6 said:
    I appreciate your help, tho! Any other thoughts? I'll try their chat feature... I'm sure that'll be so enjoyable.
    If you haven't already, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken 
This discussion has been closed.