Secondary Sorting within Account View??? (Q Mac)

Options
Is there a method to sort an account view first by column x, then by column y, etc.?

For example, assume one has the checking account open.

You click the column "Clear" until all of the cleared transactions are listed/grouped together at the top portion of the register.

The default seems to be that all of the cleared transactions are secondarily sorted by date.

Could one ask that the cleared transaction group secondarily be sorted by check # rather than by date?

Thank you very much!!!

Best Answers

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I tried all sorts of combinations in Quicken Mac to get this sorted per your request...to no avail.

I tried on the register level, but the filter selection doesn't even allow for cleared transactions only... only uncleared transactions.

This leaves sorting by the cleared column heading...but allows for no secondary sort process.

And reports don't even allow to filter by cleared transactions as well.

Thus...the only recourse seems to be to sort the register by cleared transactions and then export the register transactions to Numbers, Excel or Google Sheets and sort by check number there.

Or you can just export the register to your spreadsheet and filter/sort from there.

To export register transactions, click on the register in the sidebar or the group or subgroup heading, then File > Export > Register transactions to CSV file.

Good luck.

As a secondary note...what are you actually trying to accomplish by sorting cleared transactions by check number? Maybe there's an alternate way of getting what you need to see. Right now, I don't see the benefit of what you're trying to accomplish...but then again, I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'll second the post above: there is no way to specify a secondary sorting field in Quicken Mac. Exporting transactions and opening in Excel or Numbers is probably your best option.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Our routine monthly bank statements have the cleared items subdivided into check #s versus everything else. 
    Because a monthly bank statement is mentioned, I have to ask: are you trying to reconcile your account?

Try this:
    • Start Reconcile as one usually would, selecting "Use statement balance".
    • Once in the main Reconcile display: enable display of the Check # column and set the sort to ascending by Check #. 
    The secondary sort order will be by date, such that transactions with check numbers will be separate from all other transactions. This should be a pretty close match to the bank statement.

Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1

Answers

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I tried all sorts of combinations in Quicken Mac to get this sorted per your request...to no avail.

I tried on the register level, but the filter selection doesn't even allow for cleared transactions only... only uncleared transactions.

This leaves sorting by the cleared column heading...but allows for no secondary sort process.

And reports don't even allow to filter by cleared transactions as well.

Thus...the only recourse seems to be to sort the register by cleared transactions and then export the register transactions to Numbers, Excel or Google Sheets and sort by check number there.

Or you can just export the register to your spreadsheet and filter/sort from there.

To export register transactions, click on the register in the sidebar or the group or subgroup heading, then File > Export > Register transactions to CSV file.

Good luck.

As a secondary note...what are you actually trying to accomplish by sorting cleared transactions by check number? Maybe there's an alternate way of getting what you need to see. Right now, I don't see the benefit of what you're trying to accomplish...but then again, I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'll second the post above: there is no way to specify a secondary sorting field in Quicken Mac. Exporting transactions and opening in Excel or Numbers is probably your best option.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • LargeDoggie
    LargeDoggie Member ✭✭
    Options
    Many thanks to both of you for your input!!!

re: "As a secondary note...what are you actually trying to accomplish by sorting cleared transactions by check number?"

Our routine monthly bank statements have the cleared items subdivided into check #s versus everything else. In Q2007 (Quicken 2007) one had all sorts of options for sorting (attached, under "Transaction Sorting"). We seem to have lost that in modern Quicken, but it's definitely a "first world problem"! One can still find the individual check numbers with a little scrolling amongst the other transactions. And thanks for the tip to export and then use Excel's powerful capabilities: it's nice to have that in the back pocket if required, but doubt it will be necessary on a routine basis.

Thanks again!
    1.png 40.9K
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Our routine monthly bank statements have the cleared items subdivided into check #s versus everything else. 
    Because a monthly bank statement is mentioned, I have to ask: are you trying to reconcile your account?

Try this:
    • Start Reconcile as one usually would, selecting "Use statement balance".
    • Once in the main Reconcile display: enable display of the Check # column and set the sort to ascending by Check #. 
    The secondary sort order will be by date, such that transactions with check numbers will be separate from all other transactions. This should be a pretty close match to the bank statement.

Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • LargeDoggie
    LargeDoggie Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi lhossus:

Elegant answer; spot on!

Thank you very much for sharing your expertise.

All the best.
This discussion has been closed.