Vanguard Funds shows wrong share price when downloading

mikepilo
mikepilo Member ✭✭
edited September 2021 in Investing (Windows)
I have a Vanguard Fund in my 401K (VIIIX) that always downloads the wrong share price ($11 vs. $379) via "Direct Connect". The problem gets corrected when I go to "Security View/Update". Any explanation as to what's causing the problem? Any way to eliminate that extra step?

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I suspect you have a brokerage (online) security mismatched to your Quicken security.  That matching uses the CUSIP # for the security rather than the ticker.  The CUSIP # for a matched security should show on the security list (Ctrl-Y).  For the VIIIX fund, the correct CUSIP is 922040209.  

If your match is wrong, Edit the security details in Quicken and uncheck the "Matched with online security" box.  Next time around, you should get the chance to make the correct match.    

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure your 401(k) holds shares of the publicly traded VIIIX, or does it hold "units" of a special fund that mimics VIIIX? It that is the case, the unit price may be very different from the VIIIX price.

Look at your Vanguard statement and see what share price is shown there. If it is not the $395 or so price, you should delete the ticker symbol and accept the lower downloaded price. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I suspect you have a brokerage (online) security mismatched to your Quicken security.  That matching uses the CUSIP # for the security rather than the ticker.  The CUSIP # for a matched security should show on the security list (Ctrl-Y).  For the VIIIX fund, the correct CUSIP is 922040209.  

If your match is wrong, Edit the security details in Quicken and uncheck the "Matched with online security" box.  Next time around, you should get the chance to make the correct match.    
  • mikepilo
    mikepilo Member ✭✭
    CUSIP # was the issue! Followed q-lurker's advice....solved the problem! Many thanks!
This discussion has been closed.