New credit card account keeps defaulting to "checking" account rather than credit card.

I just got a new Apple Credit Card and when I add a new account, it exists in the pull-down of banks so I thought this is easy. The issue is that Quicken defaults it to a "checking" account rather than a credit card account. When I go to edit the account, it can't be changed to credit card. What am I doing wrong? I have four other cards and never had a problem adding them.

thanks!

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @jsperino,

I believe that I've seen this issue before for Apple cards.  Here's a work-around that should work; I suggest that you do the following:

1) Click the "+"  (or "Add Accounts");
    2) In the "Search for your financial institution" window, select the "+Offline Account" tab; (I know you want to connect it - we'll do that later);
    4) In the "Add offline account" window, select "Credit Card";
    5) Enter the Name of the account > select the appropriate "used primarily for" button and click "Next";
    6) Enter your last statement ending date and the balance from that statement and click "Next";
    7) Click "Finish".

Now, open up the account register for the new account and click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right.

1) Select "Edit Account Details";
    2) Select the "Online Services" tab;
    3) Click "Set Up Now";
    4) Enter the name of the "Financial Institution" and then click on the correct card in the results list and click "Next";
    5) Enter your "User Name / User ID" and then enter your "Password" and click "Connect";
    6) Enter the appropriate Q Nickname (if applicable), and the Action should be "Add to Quicken". Then click "Next"
    7) You should get an "Account Added" window - click "Finish" and you're done.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @jsperino,

I believe that I've seen this issue before for Apple cards.  Here's a work-around that should work; I suggest that you do the following:

1) Click the "+"  (or "Add Accounts");
    2) In the "Search for your financial institution" window, select the "+Offline Account" tab; (I know you want to connect it - we'll do that later);
    4) In the "Add offline account" window, select "Credit Card";
    5) Enter the Name of the account > select the appropriate "used primarily for" button and click "Next";
    6) Enter your last statement ending date and the balance from that statement and click "Next";
    7) Click "Finish".

Now, open up the account register for the new account and click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right.

1) Select "Edit Account Details";
    2) Select the "Online Services" tab;
    3) Click "Set Up Now";
    4) Enter the name of the "Financial Institution" and then click on the correct card in the results list and click "Next";
    5) Enter your "User Name / User ID" and then enter your "Password" and click "Connect";
    6) Enter the appropriate Q Nickname (if applicable), and the Action should be "Add to Quicken". Then click "Next"
    7) You should get an "Account Added" window - click "Finish" and you're done.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Frankx,

Your guidance worked like a charm!

Thank you so much!!

jsperino
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jsperino,

Happy to help!  Have a great weekend.

Frankx

• Wanda C.
    Wanda C. Member ✭✭
    I followed these instructions and Quicken opened a new checking account and would not connect to Apple Card. Yes I selected Apple Card and not Apple Bank. I have been using Quicken since 1997 and this is just frustrating that I can not connect a Apple Credit Card to Quicken to automatically download all data.
  • Wanda C.
    Wanda C. Member ✭✭
    Oh and this step Enter the name of the "Financial Institution" and then click on the correct card in the results list and click "Next"; for me is Goldman Sachs so if I select it as the "Financial Institution" Quicken only gives me an investment option no credit card option. Then if I select Apple Card it opens a new account as a checking. So pissed off right now........
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    "I followed these instructions and Quicken opened a new checking account and would not connect to Apple Card. Yes I selected Apple Card and not Apple Bank."
    It sounds to me that you didn't follow the instructions. 
    The first seven steps instruct you to set up the new credit card Account as a "manual", unconnected Account, so you wouldn't select any "Apple-associated" financial institution here.
    Then the next steps deal with connecting your new credit card Account to a financial institution, and that's where you'd use the Goldman Sachs name.
  • mmath
    mmath Member
    I'm having the same problem. I did follow the steps. Added first the unconnected card as checking (named it "XXX"). Then opened "Edit Account Details" for the newly created XXX and selected the second tab to setup online services. Selecting setup now presents with a new account dialog with "Checking" prefilled as the account name, rather than the dialog to connect an existing account to a financial institution. Continuing through that process results in a second account created as type checking. The originally-created account XXX still exists and is still unconnected.
  • mmath
    mmath Member
    ***Ahhhh! Meant to say added the unconnected card as type "credit", not "checking".
  • Nick S
    Nick S Member
    Same problem as reported by Wanda C and mmath above. If I create a new credit account, My Apple Card, then go into that account, use the gear menu to either a) "Set Up Online or b) "Edit Account Details" --> "Online Services" --> "Set Up Now..." (either path ends in the same place with the same result), then search and find Apple Card, it sets up a NEW and SEPARATE account that defaults to a checking account.

However, I think I found an explanation and then best-option-available solution.

Apple Card apparently does not allow third party connections to download .QFX files -- so really, then, instead of switching it to a checking account, it really should be just plain rejecting this attempt to link accounts completely.

Apple Card explains at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211236

Basically, instead of connecting through Quicken, I have to create a .QFX *on my iPhone* in the Wallet app (canNOT be done from the card.apple.com website), mail that file to myself, open it on my PC, and link it to the My Apple Card account I created in Quicken. This has worked for one statement so far.

Good luck