Restoring Backup and Quicken Connected accounts. (Q Mac)

Teeks
Teeks Member
Hi All,

I am currently working with 2 similar files on Quicken for Mac and I am stuck!

My current Quicken file is connected to my current bank account via Express/Quicken Connect, which syncs 2 accounts, a regular checking and also a HELOC account.

Prior to starting on this current file, I had manually entered all of my prior years transactions. This file contains many different accounts, but I only need 2 which have been closed since 2019. The 2 closed accounts are a joint checking and a joint savings. All of these prior transactions are saved on an old(er) backup/automatic backup.

My goal is to have all old and current transactions within the same current file I am working on. I was about to import/restore the transactions from the old file, but remembered that my online bank is connected to the current file & I would prefer to not risk losing the connection between the current file and the bank.

**My first question is, does restoring an older backup/file cause my Quicken Connect account to disconnect?

Moving on, I do have .csv files of the older transactions and was trying to convert them to .qfx files, which for me sounds much easier than actually doing so.

**My next question is, is there a third-party resource that doesn't cost to convert .csv > .qfx? I'm somewhat tech-savvy so didn't think too much of it & now that I am actually trying to do it, it proves to be more difficult than anticipated..

Since I have the .csv copies of the prior years, I really don't need to restore an entire backup. Realistically speaking, I only really need the opening balance of the closed joint checking and of the closed joint saving accounts.

**My final question is, is there a way I can keep my current file as is, but somehow open the older file WITHOUT restoring it? This way I can just view the opening balances of both closed accounts and enter that when I convert and import the .csv files with the prior years transactions?

Sorry, I know this is a lot of questions but I already chatted with support and it wasn't very helpful. I have also looked up a ton of youtube videos but have yet to find one that seems similar to my dilemma.

Any help would be a blessing! I am a bookkeeper and in the enthusiastic part of my divorce. Also, I would like to avoid dishing out more funds hiring a forensic accountant if I am familiar with bookkeeping, or at least avoid a much higher priced time by doing majority of it myself and then sharing the file to let the FA work their magic. I would greatly appreciate any help I may receive, more than you may think!

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    If you restore the backup, it should result in a new file. Then you can switch between the old and current files using File > Open Recent. You can find the file's location using File > Show "filename" in Finder. 

To move some of the accounts from the old file to the current one, you can do this:
    1. In a copy of the old file, delete all accounts except the accounts you want to transfer
    2. Export the file to QXF (File > Export > Quicken Transfer File)
    3. Import the QXF into the current file (File > Import > Quicken Windows File)
    This should add the older accounts to the current file. Make sure you have secured backups of all files before starting in case anything goes wrong.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    If you restore the backup, it should result in a new file. Then you can switch between the old and current files using File > Open Recent. You can find the file's location using File > Show "filename" in Finder. 

To move some of the accounts from the old file to the current one, you can do this:
    1. In a copy of the old file, delete all accounts except the accounts you want to transfer
    2. Export the file to QXF (File > Export > Quicken Transfer File)
    3. Import the QXF into the current file (File > Import > Quicken Windows File)
    This should add the older accounts to the current file. Make sure you have secured backups of all files before starting in case anything goes wrong.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Teeks
    Teeks Member
    I will try it. Only question with that solution though is, by restoring the backup, will it disconnect the connection with my bank on my current bank connected file?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    No, the files are completely separate.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Teeks
    Teeks Member
    Okay, wish me luck!
  • Teeks
    Teeks Member
    Yay! Thanks so much!

It did disconnect me from my HELOC express connected account, but that's fine, I can either try to re-add it or just manually enter that later on. My biggest concern was the checking & that is still functioning. & I got my closed accounts merged without having to manually re-enter each one!

I appreciate it SO much!
    You two are the best!!

I still have a few other downloaded statements that I need to import.... if you know a decent .pdf/.csv to .qxf converter, please spread the knowledge/love lol

Hope you two have a great Sunday!
  • I have a 2007 version of Quicken for Mac. I just subscribed to Quicken Deluxe for Mac. When using one of the accounts on the old version, I received a message that the data was corrupted and could be inaccurate. This account will no longer open and would not transfer to the new Quicken. Any solutions? Thank you so very much!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    If you can still launch Quicken 2007 on the old computer, run the maintenance routine to reindex the database indexes: Command-Option-B. That cures a lot of database corruption issues in Quicken 2007. After letting it reindex, quit Quicken 2007 and create a new file in modern Quicken Mac starting from your Quicken 2007 file. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.