Update security prices

baddabing
baddabing Member ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Investing (Windows)
After performing a one step update, i see that the prior prices are still there. No update.
Also, I was under the impression that if you updated at the beginning of the following month, you would get the prices for every day of the previous month. Not so, why not?

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What boxes do you have checked within your One-Step Update settings?  Download quotes ... ?
    In the security list (Ctrl-Y), do you have securities checked to get downloaded quotes?
    In your various accounts (or in your Watch list), do you own the securities that are checked?
    What does your One-Step Update Summary (Tools selection) say about downloaded quotes (___ of ___ quotes ... updated)?

Usually if prior prices are incomplete, the download quotes function will fill in the prices in the pattern of daily for the prior 30 days, then end-of-week back to one year ago, and finally end-of-month back to 5 years ago.  But that pattern is not absolute.  My experience suggests that once enough historical prices are found, the program quits going back for further fill-in values.  "Enough" in that context is not clear to me.

• baddabing
    baddabing Member ✭✭
    My security list has the box checked for downloaded quote. The one step summary say the 3 accounts were updated and the number of quotes updated. I'm just realizing that the problem is with the bonds and preferred stock. The prices go from Sept 3 to Oct 1 without any prices in between. The stocks have the whole month of September filled in. Why are the bonds treated different?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bonds are different because the prices come from your FI and not from Quicken's quote provider. The prices from the FI are only updated when you download transactions, and they only include the most recent price.

I am not sure why the preferred stock quotes are not coming from the quote provider; maybe the ticker symbol is incorrect.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are bonds different?   I believe the issue is that bonds are not traded the same way stocks are.  Quickens pricing service only prices stocks.  Bond prices come from your broker. Each broker will provide different levels of pricing history.  One broker I use does not download to Quicken.  The stock/fund prices in this account are updated daily by Quickens pricing service but the bonds I have to manually enter (I do it weekly)
  • baddabing
    baddabing Member ✭✭
    The preferred stock symbols are correct. If I run the one step at the close of the month I'll get the correct prices for the bonds and stocks, except of course CDs. I'll just have to remember to do that, it too bad you can't schedule it. It doesn't make sense to me that Quicken would download your stock prices, why connect to your FI in the one step?
  • Jim_Harman
    Sometimes the symbols used by the quote service for Preferreds are different from those used by the broker. If you give an example of a Preferred that is not updating for you, we may be able to research further.
  • bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes the symbols used by the quote service for Preferreds are different from those used by the broker.
    I would say that us just about always the case. All of the major brokers use different symbols for preferred stocks.  
  • Jim_Harman
    Quicken appears to like Preferred stocks in a form like BAC-J while there are are a number of other formats in use. See
    https://www.quantumonline.com/PfdSymbolsNames.cfm

(The reference above appears to be incorrect about the format Quicken uses!)
  • rexdietz
    rexdietz Member ✭✭
    Quicken user since the late 80s. So, I have had periodic problems for several months. I recently restored an old file, as the current file was corrupted. For many of my securities (>20) it gives a price of $9.59 (not accurate); older prices this month are 14.72. Prior to december 1, 2021 the prices are correct. I've tried updated individual stocks; the prices are not changing (still 9.59). What is going on?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be trying a file Validate and Repair including the Repair prices (not the delete and rebuild). 
This discussion has been closed.