Is there a way to manage all my subscriptions ( utilities, entertainment, newspaper )in Quicken

AmalB
AmalB Member ✭✭
How can I manage all my subscriptions at one place in quicken ?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @AmalB,

The short answer is that Quicken does not have a specific feature that tracks subscriptions.  That, however does not mean that you cannot use Quicken to help you to know when a subscription is close to its expiration date.

The way that I would do that (if I had subscriptions) would be as follows:

1) set up an expense Category (using the Category List) entitled "Subscriptions";
    2) for each subscription payment that you make on a regular basis - create a "memorized payee" on the Memorized Payee List;
    3) Create a "Bill Reminder" for each subscription.  To do this - go to the "Bills & Income" tab > select "Bills" > click the plus sign "+" on the far right > select : "manual bill" from the drop- down > and in the "Add Bill Reminder" pop-up type the subscription name (as created in step 2 above) in the "Pay to" field. ythen click "Next";
    4) on the next screen > enter the "Next due on" date - but then click on the "(change)" link to the right of the date field.  This is where you need to enter the end date of the current subscription in the "end date" field.  This will keep you from not knowing the end date and not paying for a subscription you no longer want.
    5) and just to make sure you see it coming, I would also suggest that you use the "Memo field" of the "Bill Reminder" to note the subscription end date. 

While this isn't the easiest way to "track' subscriptions, it is a way that will prevent you from renewing a subscription that you don't want to renew, and the power of the checkbook will be on your side, regardless.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you want to track about them?  Q is financial software, and can easily manage the amounts that you pay.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• AmalB
    AmalB Member ✭✭
    renew and auto renew date so that I can cancel if required in time
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @AmalB,

The short answer is that Quicken does not have a specific feature that tracks subscriptions.  That, however does not mean that you cannot use Quicken to help you to know when a subscription is close to its expiration date.

The way that I would do that (if I had subscriptions) would be as follows:

1) set up an expense Category (using the Category List) entitled "Subscriptions";
    2) for each subscription payment that you make on a regular basis - create a "memorized payee" on the Memorized Payee List;
    3) Create a "Bill Reminder" for each subscription.  To do this - go to the "Bills & Income" tab > select "Bills" > click the plus sign "+" on the far right > select : "manual bill" from the drop- down > and in the "Add Bill Reminder" pop-up type the subscription name (as created in step 2 above) in the "Pay to" field. ythen click "Next";
    4) on the next screen > enter the "Next due on" date - but then click on the "(change)" link to the right of the date field.  This is where you need to enter the end date of the current subscription in the "end date" field.  This will keep you from not knowing the end date and not paying for a subscription you no longer want.
    5) and just to make sure you see it coming, I would also suggest that you use the "Memo field" of the "Bill Reminder" to note the subscription end date. 

While this isn't the easiest way to "track' subscriptions, it is a way that will prevent you from renewing a subscription that you don't want to renew, and the power of the checkbook will be on your side, regardless.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.