Can Quicken be installed on Windows Server 2019?

I'm looking to move my 'everyday' windows computing into the cloud.
AWS looks easy but the "free Always' tier only includes server OS.

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have never installed Quicken on Windows Server 2019, but see no reason it wouldn't install/run on it just fine.

I think the term "server" is throwing people off.  The most important things to keep in mind with running Quicken is that it isn't multiple user, and to avoid problems the data file should be on a local drive to the machine running Quicken.

So as long as Quicken is actually installed on the the server, and the data file isn't accessed by more than one instance of the Quicken program there shouldn't be any problem.  As for the "GUI" part of it, you can use Remote Desktop or similar programs, since this doesn't violate either of these requirements.  It is just streaming the display, keyboard, and mouse to another machine.  And of course one could be directly logging into the server and using its display, keyboard, and mouse.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDLogan said:
    I'm looking to move my 'everyday' windows computing into the cloud.
    What does that mean - or imply....
    Are you just going to access your files remotely from your desktop installed programs,
    or are you going full tilt - and will only be running "Remote Desktop" to a remote  AWS image ?
    Have you ever run a Remote Desktop ? 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• JDLogan
    JDLogan Member ✭✭
    I'm an IT director and AWS (certified). Let's just get that out of the way
    I'm also a gamer. At home I've been running and 'Everyday" windows VM off my main PC for almost the past decade. Up grading VMWare workstation every 2 years or so.
    I want to move this 'way of working' into the cloud. RDP access or thin client app. Whatever the method.
    I would be connecting to my files through Google Drive desktop.
    Ideally I'd like to 'save' on the cost of the periodical VMWare upgrades while not having to worry about the local host/guest.

Does that help?
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short answer - no. Quicken is Desktop software and will not support what you are attempting to do. Quicken should also not be run off a NAS.
  • JDLogan
    JDLogan Member ✭✭
    > @GeoffG said:
    > Short answer - no. Quicken is Desktop software and will not support what you are attempting to do. Quicken should also not be run off a NAS.
    Never said I ran it off a NAS. I do back up to there though.

That's too bad about Server OS. IT will limit my options.
    Thanks for the reply
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have never installed Quicken on Windows Server 2019, but see no reason it wouldn't install/run on it just fine.

I think the term "server" is throwing people off.  The most important things to keep in mind with running Quicken is that it isn't multiple user, and to avoid problems the data file should be on a local drive to the machine running Quicken.

So as long as Quicken is actually installed on the the server, and the data file isn't accessed by more than one instance of the Quicken program there shouldn't be any problem.  As for the "GUI" part of it, you can use Remote Desktop or similar programs, since this doesn't violate either of these requirements.  It is just streaming the display, keyboard, and mouse to another machine.  And of course one could be directly logging into the server and using its display, keyboard, and mouse.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • JDLogan
    JDLogan Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > ....
    Thank you Chris. People shouldn't make assumptions.
    Yes it's 1 instance with only me accessing the data. I will give it a go.
    I've been using RDP to access my home VM for a while now. All good.
    Thank you
  • JDLogan
    JDLogan Member ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    By the way all, it works just fine on Server 2019 accessing my data file from a mapped Google Drive.
    Yes a warning about 'remote storage' but I said continue.
    [Removed - Rant]
  • @JD Thanks for including the update that this setup worked for you. I'm looking at doing the same thing and I appreciate your report.
  • JDLogan
    JDLogan Member ✭✭
    Hello DougNakimbo
    It works great. As mentioned, access to data on a mapped Google drive works fine.
    For additional redundancy I went and setup the (manual) backups to go to OneDrive (Off of Documents)
    Works just as it did on Windows 10.