Import QFX file results in a Web Connect download support unavailable

Chgsupra1
Chgsupra1 Member ✭✭
My credit union does not support Web Connect downloads. Advanced Financial Federal Credit - only supports export of QFX file. Then I import the QFX file to my Quicken account. This has been working for years and now it has suddenly stopped working this week.

I want to import the file and do not need Web Connect service, since it is not supported by my credit union.

When can this be fixed in Version 6.4.2 (Build 604.41752.100) macOS 11.6?

Thanks!

Comments

• Chgsupra1
    Chgsupra1 Member ✭✭
    There is no web connect service provisioned in my account for this credit union. This seems to be a bug that prevents an import of QFX file if the credit union does not exist in the bank list that is supported by Quicken.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    According to the Quicken Mac list of Participating Financial Institutions, Advance Financial FCU IN only support Quicken Connect.

It does NOT support Web Connect, which is the method where you download a .qfx from the bank's website and import it into Quicken.

Quicken Connect allows Quicken to indirectly download transactions from your bank from within Quicken.  It's indirect because once setup Quicken will summon the data from your bank usually during the middle of the night and store the transactions on their server.  When you initiate downloads, that data will get downloaded from that server to your data file.  

In Quicken Mac,after selecting the bank name, click on OPTIONS.  You'll see Quicken Connect is the ONLY choice.  Click Enter and then in the next screen enter your bank's website User ID and password.  

From then on, select the circle with the arrow above the account sidebar to update the account and download transactions.

Even though a bank may produce a .qfx file, it doesn't mean that Quicken will allow imports of that file type.  The screenshot error message is indicative of that problem.  

Some users think that just because a bank allows you to create a .qfx/.ofx file type you should be able to import it into Quicken.  Unless they have signed up with Quicken and become a participating financial institution and agreed with Quicken to allow importing of .qfx files, that process will NOT work.  
  • Chgsupra1
    Chgsupra1 Member ✭✭
    Advanced Financial Federal Credit Union - (https://www.advfinfcu.com/) - is the correct name of the credit union. This credit union does not exist in Quicken Mac list of Participating Financial Institutions.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Chgsupra1 If I understand you correctly, your credit union provides a QFX file download, but Quicken doesn't have the credit union in its list of participating institutions, correct? What's odd about that is that QFX is a slight tweak of the OFX standard specifically for Quicken. If they aren't going to support Quicken, I'd think their download for other software would be OFX, not QFX. Perhaps if they've terminated support for Quicken, they just haven't updated their website export to show OFX rather than QFX.

On the other hand, if they are continuing to provide bona fide QFX files, then perhaps it's a mistake that they are not currently in the supported institutions list. The QFX file includes an ID code to identify/authenticate the financial institution. you should pursue with the credit union whether they intentionally dropped their participation with Quicken or whether it was perhaps inadvertent (e.g. they didn't renew their license with Quicken/Inuit). My understanding is that QFX support does not cost the financial institution anything; they just have to have a contract with Quicken/Intuit. (Some financial institutions decide not to support Quicken users anyway, as there is some cost to them to produce the download files and probably some number of support calls they field about problems with data getting into Quicken.) So you want to see if you can get an answer from the credit union about whether they are continuing to support Quicken Mac or not. If they say yes, absolutely, nothing should have changed, then you'll want to report this to Quicken Support, who can open a ticket with the connectivity team at Intuit to investigate why they have been removed from the FIDIR list of financial institutions.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chgsupra1
    Chgsupra1 Member ✭✭
    @jacobs It is clear that a maintenance update from Quicken has caused a logical dependency with not being on the list of banks/credit unions that Quicken supports. I get the same error for all the QFX files I used in Sept 2021 now, but in Sept 2021 those OFX files I downloaded from my credit union worked. Quicken go and check the dependency you recently created to prevent OFX files from being used without being associated with the Quicken list. You broke a feature that worked.
  • Chgsupra1
    Chgsupra1 Member ✭✭
    Here is another ticket with the customer unable to import from QFX file. This is a recent issue : https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20208102#Comment_20208102
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the bank's name is no longer in the list of participating financial institutions (or is there, but with a "zzz-" prefix), the bank's contract with Intuit was terminated or has expired due to non-payment of the renewal fee. Until the contract is reinstated by the bank you will not be able to download or import any transactions from this bank.
    Contact the bank's upper level management to complain.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Chgsupra1 said:
    @jacobs It is clear that a maintenance update from Quicken has caused a logical dependency with not being on the list of banks/credit unions that Quicken supports.
    @Chgsupra1 Sorry, no, it's not clear what happened -- but it is actually not likely that a Quicken software update is responsible. The list of participating financial institutions is completely independent of software updates. Quicken contracts with Intuit to provide connectivity services, and as @UKR and I have explained above, if a financial institution is removed from the list it is usually because they have intentionally or unintentionally not updated their service agreement with Intuit. As I wrote above, the remedy for such a problem is to complain to your credit union about whether/why they stopped supporting Quicken. If they give you assurance that they continue to support Quicken, then you need to contact Quicken Support, so they can create a ticket with Intuit to investigate why they are not on the list of participating financial institutions. It's possible the credit union was removed inadvertently, but more likely, the credit union did not renew their agreement with Intuit. 

Also, you keep writing "you broke this", but you should understand that when you are posting in this forum, you are not talking to Quicken Support. This forum is mostly a user-to-user support forum, with some help from a few Quicken moderators. For an issue like this, if you talked with your credit union and they've assured you they still support Quicken Mac, then the avenue to address the is Quicken Support, as I explained above.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.