Allocation by Asset Class in Dashboard

lawrencerocke
lawrencerocke Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I understand this is a feature still under construction but I still have a couple of questions: 1) Is there anyway we can see how Q breaks down mutual funds by asset allocation or does that violate some proprietary agreement with the third party they're using? 2) Other than providing said breakdown, is there any other way to determine what is in "Asset Mixture"? It appears to consist of parts of mutual funds and entire ones.

Anyway, this feature will be a huge time saver so thanks.

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    The good news is that it doesn't violate any agreements with the third party they are using; the bad news is that there's currently no way to see the breakdown of asset classes for each security. The data is in the database, but there is not yet any user interface for viewing or editing the data. That functionality exists in Quicken Windows, and the Quicken Mac product manager promised that this is coming in a future update.

Until they add that functionality, there's really no way to know the makeup of each asset class in the dashboard, nor the makeup of the asset classes for a security. For a security, if you click the security name in the Portfolio window, and select Security Overview from the pop-up menu, you will see a web page which contains the asset allocation breakdown for that account. 

The Quicken Mac developers like to release certain features which are only partly developed, and then use user feedback to guide them on what additional functionality is most needed. Sometimes this works well; instead of spending many more months in the lab developing the Cadillac version, they release the Chevy version sooner and then add to it. Sometimes, this doesn't work well, as it's not functional enough to be truly useful breaks some existing functionality (as this did with the asset allocation in the Portfolio view). Usually, they get it pretty much right in the second or third iteration. I'd expect to see them address this before the end of the year.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • lawrencerocke
    lawrencerocke Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks! Considering how I’ve been doing this in the past, waiting a few more months isn’t a big deal for me.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    The good news is that it doesn't violate any agreements with the third party they are using; the bad news is that there's currently no way to see the breakdown of asset classes for each security. The data is in the database, but there is not yet any user interface for viewing or editing the data. That functionality exists in Quicken Windows, and the Quicken Mac product manager promised that this is coming in a future update.

Until they add that functionality, there's really no way to know the makeup of each asset class in the dashboard, nor the makeup of the asset classes for a security. For a security, if you click the security name in the Portfolio window, and select Security Overview from the pop-up menu, you will see a web page which contains the asset allocation breakdown for that account. 

The Quicken Mac developers like to release certain features which are only partly developed, and then use user feedback to guide them on what additional functionality is most needed. Sometimes this works well; instead of spending many more months in the lab developing the Cadillac version, they release the Chevy version sooner and then add to it. Sometimes, this doesn't work well, as it's not functional enough to be truly useful breaks some existing functionality (as this did with the asset allocation in the Portfolio view). Usually, they get it pretty much right in the second or third iteration. I'd expect to see them address this before the end of the year.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • lawrencerocke
    lawrencerocke Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks! Considering how I’ve been doing this in the past, waiting a few more months isn’t a big deal for me.
This discussion has been closed.