error updating credit card account

Options
I have a new card from am ex. When I try to add the new account using my login I get the error message " you already have an account enabled at the financial institution with this user id that uses a different connection protocol. They need to be the same"
How do I change account numbers of this card or do I need to close the old account and reopen it?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suspect the account you already have set up with Amex is Direct Connect (DC) and when you try to set up the new account it is trying to set up with Express Web Connect (EWC).  It used to be that when a Financial Institution (FI) supported both DC and EWC (like Amex does) and you added an account Quicken would default to setting up DC.  Sometime in the past year or so that changed so that Quicken now defaults to EWC so now when you try to add a new account in Quicken the EWC default setup conflicts with the already existing DC setup and you get the message that you have been seeing.
    I suggest you go to your Account Register for your currently connected account.  At the top of the Account Register it should say which connection method it is set up for.  If it does say that it's set up for Direct Connect I suggest you do the following:
    1)  Add Account > American Express > Advanced Options > select Direct Connect > then follow the prompts.
    2)  During the account setup process, Quicken might download data for two accounts...one is your existing account in Quicken and the other is your new account.  Important:  When prompted...
    • Make sure the existing account is linked to the account you already have set up in Quicken. 
    • And make sure the new account is either Added to Quicken as a new account (if you did not set it up in Quicken previously as a manual account) or linked to your new account in Quicken (if you had previously set it up as a manual account).
    If I am correct about your situation, then you should be able to successfully set up the new account in Quicken and no longer see that message.
    If I am not correct about your situation, then please let me know what connection method your current account in Quicken is set up with (DC or EWC) and if you are seeing any other error messages.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)