Distinguishing different accounts from same company

I have 2 accounts with a utility company (eversource). One is for electric and one is for gas. The bank paid transactions downloaded to the Quicken register for the gas and electric appear identical in the register. The Quicken sync logs however, do show the distinct account numbers for the gas and the electric are in the transactions coming from the bank. I am not sure if there is a manner in which I might leverage these unique account identifiers, or something else) that exists so that I might differentiate and track these 2 Eversource utility accounts independently. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The two places Quicken check for renaming rules are the payee and the memo.  If it is in one of those go into the renaming rules (Tools -> Renaming Rules) and setup two rules (removing/change any existing matching ones).

You will want to set them to "If payee contains"  (it says payee, but it looks at the memo too).
    Unfortunately you can't set this when creating the renaming rule, you will have to edit after you have the rule in.

For each payee make the payee distinct and put in the account number for each.
    Once you have this done you should be able to setup a Memorized Payee (Ctrl+T) for each of them so that they have the right category.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Puppy235
    Puppy235 Member
    Thanks. I really appreciate you giving this some thought. I may be missing something as I am not clear on how this might work automagically as transactions are downloaded in to the register even once the rules are in place. As previously mentioned the visible register entries downloaded are virtually identical (inclusive of date, payee, and memo) The only visible difference is the amount of the transaction. I have not been able to see the distinguishing account IDs anywhere in the Quicken Interface other than in the raw data of the sync logs
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I was hoping that the information was in fact in the memo, if it isn't in the payee or memo you are right there isn't any way to do this.  If the amounts were the same every month you could use reminders, but I'm guessing that isn't the case.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Puppy235
    Puppy235 Member
    Thanks. It is frustrating as it certainly appears from the synclog that Quicken should have access to all of the fields provided by the bank and I would think that account id/number would be pretty common and perhaps even standard. I did solve this for another utility by using my credit card for payment on one account and my wife's the other account. In this case our names appear in the memo field of the transaction allowing me to sort them out in reports.