I cannot download E*Trade Bank transactions using DIrect Connect

It works with Web Connect, but when I click on "Improve Connections" it fails. I go through the usual username/password stuff, and it says that it's looking for accounts. The next screen has the Account as "Checking XX2847", the Type as "* Unsupported", and the only Action is "Don't add to Quicken".

A screen shot is attached.

The same thing happens if I try to add a new account to download transactions.

In Account Details for this account, the Account Type is Checking and the Financial Institution is E*Trade Bank. Hopefully someone can suggest something - the manual downloading works, but is a bit of a pain. Thank you.

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    Have you tried using the Quicken E*Trade setup link?  (It does seem that for a checking account the E*Trade Bank setup link would be the correct one to use but since it is not working then maybe this other link might.)
    If Quicken E*Trade doesn't work, then it appears that something might be wrong with the E*Trade Bank setup link.  The screen shot file you posted is a pretty clear indication of this.  It shows you tried connecting with EWC to E*Trade Bank but it tried to connect with a brokerage which EWC does not support (it needs DC), hence the error message shaded in yellow.
    This would be an issue that you need to address with Quicken Support because they will need to coordinate with Intuit to get the connection link corrected.
    You can report issues like this by contacting Quicken Support (https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support) or you can send a report about it from within Quicken (Help > Report A Problem...be sure to attach the screen shot file if you go this route).

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    I did try to create a Quicken E*Trade account to test that, but it didn't work. My checking account doesn't show up in the list of available accounts (though my brokerage accounts do, and they work fine with Direct Connect).

Thank you for the help. I'll report the problem to Quicken.
    Well, it was a long shot at best.  Too bad it didn't work though.  Sorry that I couldn't be of more help but the issue you are having is not one that can be fixed by anyone in this forum.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    Have you tried using the Quicken E*Trade setup link?  (It does seem that for a checking account the E*Trade Bank setup link would be the correct one to use but since it is not working then maybe this other link might.)
    If Quicken E*Trade doesn't work, then it appears that something might be wrong with the E*Trade Bank setup link.  The screen shot file you posted is a pretty clear indication of this.  It shows you tried connecting with EWC to E*Trade Bank but it tried to connect with a brokerage which EWC does not support (it needs DC), hence the error message shaded in yellow.
    This would be an issue that you need to address with Quicken Support because they will need to coordinate with Intuit to get the connection link corrected.
    You can report issues like this by contacting Quicken Support (https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support) or you can send a report about it from within Quicken (Help > Report A Problem...be sure to attach the screen shot file if you go this route).

• David Meyer
    David Meyer Member ✭✭
    I did try to create a Quicken E*Trade account to test that, but it didn't work. My checking account doesn't show up in the list of available accounts (though my brokerage accounts do, and they work fine with Direct Connect).

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓

Well, it was a long shot at best.  Too bad it didn't work though.  Sorry that I couldn't be of more help but the issue you are having is not one that can be fixed by anyone in this forum.

• David Meyer
    David Meyer Member ✭✭
    I reported it in a chat to Quicken support. They asked for a Help->Report a problem report, and said they'll have to report the problem to E*Trade. Thank you for your help.