Quicken for Mac does it have to use iCloud?

klmeagher
klmeagher Member ✭✭
Does the quicken for Mac data file have to reside on iCloud?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    No, it doesn't have to be stored on iCloud, and personally I think you're better off not storing it on iCloud. Keep a backup on iCloud but keep the main file stored locally.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The problem with storing your file on any cloud based drive is that corruption can occur.

And with Quicken Mac, your data file is really a package of several files all in one.

So, most Quicken Mac users recommend using the "Compress" feature in Finder to make a zipped copy of your data file...and then moving it to iCloud as a backup only.  Even moving the "raw" qdata.quicken file without compressing it may cause irreversible corruption in your backup file.  
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    You should be able to just drag and drop the file to another folder that's not being synced to iCloud. What happens when you try to do that?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    It sounds like you have the system preference for iCloud Drive set to store your Desktop and Documents folders. You can turn this preference off, and then you'll need to manually copy the files back from iCloud to your local computer. Or, as RickO said, you can move your Quicken data file to a folder other than Desktop or Documents. (For instance, at the top level of Macintosh HD, you can create a Quicken folder and put you're data file(s) there.) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    No, it doesn't have to be stored on iCloud, and personally I think you're better off not storing it on iCloud. Keep a backup on iCloud but keep the main file stored locally.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• klmeagher
    klmeagher Member ✭✭
    Hi Jon; I am having trouble removing my quicken data file off the iCloud ? Have you done this and only have it reside only on your computer
  • RickO
    It is highly recommended NOT to store your data file on iCloud, Dropbox or any other cloud file service. Corruption of the file is likely to eventually occur. As Jon says, storing the backup files in iCloud is fine.

Where in iCloud Drive do you have the file stored? What happens when you try to move it elsewhere?
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The problem with storing your file on any cloud based drive is that corruption can occur.

And with Quicken Mac, your data file is really a package of several files all in one.

So, most Quicken Mac users recommend using the "Compress" feature in Finder to make a zipped copy of your data file...and then moving it to iCloud as a backup only.  Even moving the "raw" qdata.quicken file without compressing it may cause irreversible corruption in your backup file.  
  • klmeagher
    klmeagher Member ✭✭
    RickO SuperUser: My Quicken file is stored on my desktop which is stored in iCloud/desktop.

I have not been able to remove it from the iCloud/desktop; any ideas?

Thanks,
    Karen
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    You should be able to just drag and drop the file to another folder that's not being synced to iCloud. What happens when you try to do that?
  • klmeagher
    klmeagher Member ✭✭
    I have 3 different Quicken data files- broke them down by yrs; two of the files worked but not 3rd;
    Thanks again
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    It sounds like you have the system preference for iCloud Drive set to store your Desktop and Documents folders. You can turn this preference off, and then you'll need to manually copy the files back from iCloud to your local computer. Or, as RickO said, you can move your Quicken data file to a folder other than Desktop or Documents. (For instance, at the top level of Macintosh HD, you can create a Quicken folder and put you're data file(s) there.) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    When you say two of the files worked, but not the third: exactly what are you doing to try to move them. Exactly what happens when this fails to work. We need much more detail about what you are doing and how you are doing it.
This discussion has been closed.