Monthly Statement Reconciled Balance is Changing

Good afternoon,

I have been using Quicken since 2004, and I have never had as much trouble with the program as I have since May 2021.

In April 2021, I purchased and upgraded to the Windows 10 Home - I do this every three years like clock-work. I download my transactions and match them to what transactions have cleared in my register. When I receive my monthly statement from my bank, I reconcile; however, since May, I have had to do a balance adjustment. At first I thought I was doing something wrong - as May's balance adjustment was only $1; however, this past month it was over $200. When I looked at my "prior balance", I noticed that it was that same amount different. So, my transactions are not wrong, but my prior balance is.

On October 19th, I reconciled my account. I notated on the bank statement that the prior balance matched exactly what my bank stated I had (and yes, I have always selected Use Paper Statement - again, I have been doing this since Dec 2004). However, this morning I open up my Quicken and I noticed my account is in the negative (according only to Quicken). I click to reconcile my account (just to see what the "Prior balance" states - and It is $844 less - exactly what my account is off. When I go in and change the Prior balance to match what it should (and did on the 19th), I see "Opening Balance Difference" - Cleared Balance, Statement Ending Balance and Difference. I dont' want to see "opening Balance Difference" because on the 19th - when I had my Quicken up and running last, there was NO difference.

I cannot help but see the correlation between me upgrading to 10 Home and this new problem that I am clearly having on a monthly basis. What has changed and more importantly, how can it be fixed?

Thank you so much -

Joyce

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the reconciled opening balance has changed, a reconciled transaction has been added, modified, or deleted.  To determine the source of the change, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.
  • Jujubean
    Jujubean Member ✭✭
    okay - I will try that, but since I haven't opened up my quicken since October 19th - I don't see how a transaction was added