Why would TIAA cref import transactions (sell or div) import into Q with incorrect ticker symbol?

So I have 3 accounts at TIAA-CREF, only one of which is having this issue. it has three investments, all set up correctly. TIAA lists two of these with symbols BREJ# and BRCO# on my account page; however all transactions to do with those investments (reinvest dividends or sell to pay fees) import into quicken with different symbols BRC1# and BRC4# respectively, really messing up with my holdings - FYI BREJ# is BlackRock Equity Index J but transactions are importing as BRC1# which is BlackRock Equity Index M fund.

TIAA CREF says its a quicken problem but I don't see how - they send the symbol for the transactions don't they?

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Quicken uses the CUSIP ID to match securities from the financial institution - that includes transactions, share balances, and quotes.  

Quicken uses the ticker symbol to pull prices from the third-party quote service.

Quicken relies on a unique value for a security used by the financial institution to identify the security in the Quicken file.  Quicken refers to this field as the CUSIP ID.  When Quicken receives a CUSIP ID that it is not already bound to a security in Quicken, Quicken will prompt us to associate the security with a new security or a security that is not already assigned a CUSIP ID.  To clear the CUSIP ID assigned to a security, we may uncheck Matched with online security on the Edit Security Details window of the security and the next time Quicken processes an unbound CUSIP ID, the security should be available to be matched.  For publicly traded securities, the CUSIP ID should be the same as the CUSIP number.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Quicken uses the CUSIP ID to match securities from the financial institution - that includes transactions, share balances, and quotes.  

Quicken uses the ticker symbol to pull prices from the third-party quote service.

Quicken relies on a unique value for a security used by the financial institution to identify the security in the Quicken file.  Quicken refers to this field as the CUSIP ID.  When Quicken receives a CUSIP ID that it is not already bound to a security in Quicken, Quicken will prompt us to associate the security with a new security or a security that is not already assigned a CUSIP ID.  To clear the CUSIP ID assigned to a security, we may uncheck Matched with online security on the Edit Security Details window of the security and the next time Quicken processes an unbound CUSIP ID, the security should be available to be matched.  For publicly traded securities, the CUSIP ID should be the same as the CUSIP number.
  • joblingm
    joblingm Member ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    thanks Sherlock for this info - it helped me identify the issue - TIAA changed fund classes in 2018 but as far as I could tell kept the CUSIP ID the same - meaning quicken continued to use the old ticker for new transactions from TIAA. Only fix I can figure out is to manually edit all incorrect transactions for every account... but at least this should now be fixed...