Capital gains in order of percent gains

Satish
Satish Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I use Quicken 2021, the most current. Can I generate a report which lists capital gains in sorted percentage. I'm okay with exporting such report to excel and manipulate there.

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can see that presentation through portfolio views (Ctrl-U).  Customize an existing view or one of the custom views to include the column "Gain/Loss %".   
  • Satish
    Satish Member ✭✭
    I should have explored before posting my question. Such a report is available out of the box.
  • Satish
    Satish Member ✭✭
    @q_lurker It gives me almost what I want. "Holding Period" is empty. Is there any way to get this report separated out into lots for each security? I'm trying to decide which exact lots to sell to minimize taxes.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Satish said:
    @q_lurker It gives me almost what I want. "Holding Period" is empty. Is there any way to get this report separated out into lots for each security? I'm trying to decide which exact lots to sell to minimize taxes.
    To view the Holding Period, I suggest you expand the view to show the security lots.  For example, select Expand All
  • Satish
    Satish Member ✭✭
    I spoke too soon again. It does give me lot information
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Satish said:
    When you choose to sell a partial holding of a particular security, you can choose to specify lots, and that selection then allows you to have Quicken pick the lots for the minimum (or maximum) gain.  Warning: I do not believe that selection process separates ST from LT holdings.

Perhaps you are choosing whether to sell Lot 1 of Security A vs Lot 2 of Security B.  In that case, the portfolio view grouped by Account and expanded to show lots would give you the info.  Recognize that when that view is sorted by Gain/Loss %, the sorting is only on the security level, not the lots within any one security which are still listed chronologically.
  • Satish
    Satish Member ✭✭
    @q_lurker Is there a way to save after I customize a report created as above?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The portfolio view customizations 'save' (don't change) unless you make a subsequent change. 

You can 'print' a view - Ctrl-P - which includes printing it (export) to a file.  A PRN file is really a csv file.  Save it with that extension and open in Excel if you choose to.  
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS: It is generally helpful around here to use the term "Report" for presentations from the Reports pull down menu and similar.  Where I have pointed you to above, I would call a view (or maybe a screen), and more specifically a portfolio view.  Just helps keep things clearer.
This discussion has been closed.