Sales and Use Tax Report - Customer Summary

sjtanner
sjtanner Member ✭✭
edited October 2021 in Reports (Windows)
Newbie Running HB2021 - (was using QuickBooks) I need to file Sales and Use Taxes to the state. In QuickBooks I ran a Sales by Customer Summary Report displaying the Columns by Sales Tax Codes. This would show me the Totals for the: Taxable Sales, Out of State, Resale Exempt, Purchase Exempt, Tax Amount and the Total. I've been looking in Quicken for an equivalent report for my information and not finding one. The state requires me to break down these amounts when filing. I can't just mail a check for the tax amount.
Any suggestions?

Answers

• Hello @sjtanner,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your questions! 

I do have some suggestions for you and I apologize that you have not received a response yet. 

So in your Quicken software, as you may have already noticed, your tax lines get assigned to your categories. So it will be imperative that you use business categories/categories with assigned tax lines on the related transactions. 

That being said, I can direct you to some reports that you may find helpful. To access reports you will go up to the "Reports" tab at the top of your Quicken software.

From the menu provided, select the first option, "Reports & Graphs Center". That will populate a box on your screen with many options. The options can seem overwhelming until you are familiar with them all. Click on one of the headings provided. For example, "Business", as I have below. 

As you can see, this will open up and give you a variety of reports to choose from that are business-related.  Another good option for what you are doing would be "Tax". And as you can see below you have even more options.

It's difficult to say which report you will find most useful, but the best way to find out is to just start running a few. If you click on one, it opens further and you can choose to "Customize" the report to fit your needs, or just "Show Report". The customization box (pictured below) has many options as well. 

In here, you will click on each tab at the top of the box, and select anything and everything that you want to include or exclude from the report you are running. When you have finished your customizations, click "Show Report". If something is missing or incorrect, that means it was not assigned the correct category on the transaction.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction! If you have any more questions or hit any speedbumps along the way just let us know and we would be more than happy to help! Also, feel free to just let us know if you found this post helpful or not. 

Quicken Alyssa

• sjtanner
    sjtanner Member ✭✭
    Thank you Alyssa for replying. I have set up my State Sales Tax 6%, Out of State 0%, Resale 0% & Purchase 0%. I have created paid invoices using both the state sales tax and the out of state sales tax. The taxes are categorized as liabilities and there is not a "tax line" for them. I've have tried running and customizing every report under the Business & Tax options. I have found one that will give me the state sales tax total. However it only shows the tax. I need to see the Total Sales $, the out-of-state sales $ as well is just the tax amount. I'm really frustrated that Quicken doesn't have a specific report to run easily as I know that the majority of the States require a Sales & Use Tax filing showing the break down of your sales and taxes.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Home and Business is tailored to a very restricted kinds of businesses, basically schedule C businesses.  It isn't a generic Business financial program like QuickBooks.

I don't have Home and Business (just Premier), but I know that for a category to show up in the business section at all it has to have connected to a Schedule C tax line.  Now when I look at the Schedule C tax lines, what jumps out at me in reference to this question is that there is only one line for taxes:

Since the tax reports are group by these tax lines, there isn't any way that two categories of "tax" are going to be separated in those reports.

What that means to me is that one would have use a standard category report that has just these categories separated out.

So instead something like this (from the Tax Schedule report):

From the Itemized Category report:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • sjtanner
    sjtanner Member ✭✭
    Thanks for replying. The Schedule C: Taxes & Licenses has to do with expenses such as property taxes, not Sales taxes that are charged on your invoice to your customer. You have to report these Sales Taxes which are liabilities to the state revenue department. Even a very basic business if they sell an items and some services have to charge sales tax in almost all state. When creating Invoices in QHB there is a Sales Tax Item field. There should be a way to run a report showing the Sales amounts with the Tax line separate and whether it was taxable or exempt.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    As I stated, Quicken isn't geared to "sales" kinds of businesses.  And as I stated I think you can use some of the category reports to get the information you need, but Quicken's "business section" isn't going to be geared to give the information like you might want.

EDIT
    Put another way, maybe you picked the wrong tool for the job, and should have stayed with QuickBooks.  Is what you want to do possible in Quicken?  It looks like the answer is yes.  Is it going to involve workarounds?  It looks like the answer again is yes.

Note I'm not an expert on Home & Business so there might be something hiding in its features, that someone that uses it might be able to add to this discussion, but I doubt it.  Just as Quicken doesn't have features like keeping track of inventory, because that wasn't what it was designed for.
    Signature:
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, so I am not an experienced business user.  But it does seem to me that Quicken is sufficiently sales oriented that it prepares invoices and allows for sales tax to be computed within those tools.  This user seems to be asking about getting summary reports about those categories.  I would think that is reasonably possible.  

I'll refer you to this discussion
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20048400#Comment_20048400

Now you are trying to track Totals for the:
    1. Taxable Sales, 
    2. Out of State, 
    3. Resale Exempt, 
    4. Purchase Exempt, 
    5. Tax Amount and 
    6. Total. 
    Now tracking the variety of Sales categories I would think might be a category or a tag distinction and how you tie that to an invoice item, I can't say.  But once you accomplish that distinction, your summary report should be a pretty basic category report, customized accordingly.

HTH  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note I'm not saying that Quicken can't do the job, I'm saying that unlike QuickBooks that has canned reports and handling of such, in Quicken you have to put those together by customizing things.
    Signature:
  • sjtanner
    sjtanner Member ✭✭
    YES! @q_lurker these are the exact totals I'm wanting to run a report for! When searching the community posts/threads I saw a few, including the one you suggested that all had to do with this same subject. A couple were a from 2018 & 2019. All of the ones I saw are Closed discussions and none of them have an answer. I was hoping by now, someone (Quicken) would have come up with a solution or a created report. I know that if an invoice is created, no matter what type of business you have there is usually a Sales Tax involved and that tax amount has to be filed with the State.
    Right now, I'm going back through my invoices and using the Project/Job option. Marking them: out of state, resale, purchase, state. I found a report for the Project/Jobs. This looks like this will give me the Sales Totals. I haven't gotten them all done yet to verify the amounts that are showing up are the correct amounts. Then I customized the A/R report which will give me the sales tax owed.
    I'm sure as you said, it can be done. It's just frustrating as long as Home and Business version has been around, this is still an unknown issue. Thanks again for your reply.
  • sjtanner
    sjtanner Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW I understand that. When I originally posted, I thought that being newer to this QHB version, not having used it since the late 90's (before quickbooks) I thought I just wasn't finding where the Sales Tax Report was located. And also since it doesn't seem to be pre-created, I was hoping someone else had already figured out what reports to customize to get the information that is needed and would answer with that information. Thanks anyway.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    From what I have seen there aren't a lot of people that use the Business section of Quicken giving lots of tips on here on how to use it (if there were I wouldn't even have bothered posting, and the reason why you got a delayed response from a Moderator trying to help).

So if you have figured out something like this that would benefit others in the same situation it would be nice if you posted a "Discussion" on how one might go at it.
    Signature:
  • sjtanner
    sjtanner Member ✭✭
    Morning @Chris_QPW yes, I had already thought about doing that. Once I get it figured out for sure and tested. I was planning on writing something to be able to help others. I've actually been using Quicken since the 80's with v3.0. I just recently upgraded from Deluxe to QHB. With Quicken Deluxe I haven't really had to run a lot of reports. I just need to play around with it some more to get it figured out.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @sjtanner Sounds great!
    Signature:
  • sjtanner
    sjtanner Member ✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Hello @Quicken Alyssa @Chris_QPW @q_lurker I've come up with a work around to get the information needed to be able to file state sales and use tax. I've written it up under another discussion. The Title is
    Sales and Use Tax Reports - Work Around for Filing State Sales Taxes

See: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7901666/sales-and-use-tax-reports-work-around-for-filing-state-sales-taxes#latest
This discussion has been closed.