When will the currency issue be fixed? (Q Win Canada)

Options
I keep having this message: ''WARNING! You have accounts in currencies other than your Quicken home currency. Quicken is working to resolve this issue.'' All my accounts are in Canadian, but quicken displays some in USD and it's messing with my budget planning because of the conversion. When will it be fixed, it's getting annoying.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Dominic Besner,

While I understand that - as you said "All my accounts are in Canadian" I do need to ask - are you running the Canadian version or the US version?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Dominic Besner
    Options
    Hi, I am running the Canadian version R33.7.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Hi again @Dominic Besner

Okay - thanks for that information.  I also assume that you've double checked the setting under "Edit" > "Preferences" > "Calendar and  currency" to make sure that "Multicurrency support" is NOT checked. 

If so, and if this change just recently happened, then the first thing I suggest that you do is to "Validate" your datafile and - if that doesn't fix the issue - "Supervalidate" the datafile, because I suspect that your datafile has been corrupted.  Here's a LINK to the instructions for these two procedures. If these procedures do not fix the issue, then your only other option would be to find a backup file that does not display this problem and restore it.

If, on the other hand, "Multicurrency support" IS selected for the accounts, then I suggest that you contact Customer Support via this LINK to see if they can help you.  If they cannot, and if you can't find a recent backup that doesn't display the problem, then you'll likely need to delete the accounts and reconstruct them using the correct currency, because once you have setup an account in a foreign currency Quicken does not allow you to "convert" the account to another currency.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Options
    @Frankx just so you know, multiple currency is always on in the Canadian version.  Given that in fact the Canadian version started as the US version and then was branch out the easiest way for them to support Canada was to force multiple currency on, and the home currency to CAD.  I might add unlike the US version, in the Canadian version they can't change the home currency.

EDIT just to be clear, in the Canadian version there isn't a setting for multiple currency.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Dominic Besner
    Options
    As an update, I deleted, cleaned and reinstalled Quicken to no success. I validated the data to no success either. Time to contact tech support.
  • Dominic Besner
    Options
    For those who may be interested, here is the resolution. Go to a backup pre-problem. Disconnect your accounts from the One Step Update. Go to the bank website and download the quicken OFX data for the period missing from the backup. Fix all the payees and categories and never ever use the online update from Scotiabank. Doing so changes the currency to USD and there is nothing you can do about it.

The re-install, the QCleanUI, the data validation were all a waste of time. The tech support was also a waste of time. Although I mentioned Quicken was a Canadian version, the accounts are all supposed to be in Canadian, and I only work in Canadian dollars, tech support wasted time trying to change my home currency or talking about the upcoming R37 (which is a US version).

As a note, my Visa with Scotiabank was immune to this problem and stayed in Canadian dollars. This contributed to the issues as any transfer between accounts was seen as a USD to CAD transaction applying an exchange rate. My budget was also in CAD and it automatically did the exchange rate from the erroneous USD accounts and messed with the planning.

That's it, folks.
  • DianaK
    DianaK Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks @"Dominic Besner" - I've been on with chat support and trying everything. Very frustrating. If anyone figures out a work around, I'd love to hear it. I can deal with the annoyance but the impact to my budget vs. actual is a disaster.
  • DianaK
    DianaK Member ✭✭
    Options
    All - I think I just figured out a work around by changing the US$ currency rate to par.

Tools>Currency List - scroll to U.S. Dollar at the bottom and click "Edit". Then change the rate to 1.0 and click OK. Click Done to close out the Currency list and while your balances will still show as US$ in the accounts list, you should find that when it's translating it for reporting purposes (budget, etc) and for your Net Worth calculation at the bottom left, it's reflecting Canadian Dollars.

To ensure your rate doesn't get overwritten on your next online banking update - deselect "Download currency exchange rates" on the "One Step Update Settings" screen.

@"Dominic Besner" Let me know if it works for you! Seems to be working for me.
  • Dominic Besner
    Options
    @DianaK as per my last update I consider my problem resolved. I rebuilt from a backup and no longer use the one step.

I also no longer have the annoying pop up that Quicken is aware of the problem and working on it. They apparently have been working on it for months since I had this pop up for months. Tech support couldn't define the issue they are working on. He simply say "You might not be able to connect the the server".

Quicken clearly needs better scripts for Canadian users on their first line tech support and they need some knowledge base behind that pop-up. The tech support should be able to search that pop-up and have a script to clients at the very least.
  • Kennuth
    Kennuth Member
    Options
    :/ Although it is not the end of the world if I need to dismiss this warning every time I update, I would like to see it resolved for the Canadian subscription version of Quicken. This pop-up has been showing its ugly face for many months now. I am not particularly tech savvy so I'm expecting a simple solution that technopeasants can manage
  • Dominic Besner
    Options
    I couldn't agree more. This pop-up says: ''Quicken is working to resolve this issue'' but it has been months now. I really don't know what is taking them so long. I hope if I generate more traffic here it will bring this issue to their attention faster and you will get a faster resolution. Best of luck.
  • Henry008
    Henry008 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Dominic and Kennuth, I agree with both of you in that Quicken should address this problem and resolve it as I use a computer and laptop when travelling for my banking/updating and this issue also affects the syncing of my account. The onestep update currently is useless.
  • Jeff_B
    Jeff_B Member
    Options
    I agree and add my vote to have this issue resolved. It has been incredibly annoying. However, thank you Dominic and DianaK for posting your workarounds!
This discussion has been closed.