Reminders for past recurring transactions

I am trying to fine tune and categorize the transactions in my checking account for 2020 and 2021. I have downloaded the transactions so they are all there in terms of amounts and payee. However, the categories are not. For most that in easy to deal with. However, I have some fairly complex split transactions that reoccur monthly and I don't want to manually recreate them for each month.

After looking it this, I decided to set a reminder.

I have a set transaction that comes from an IRA each month. There is a gross amount that goes out from the IRA and then part of it goes income tax and the net goes to my checking account. My checking account only shows the net deposit.

I do not have all the transactions for the IRA on the IRA side since I could not download transactions from early 2000. So I thought to enter this from the checking account.

I took the net deposit. Let's say hypothetically it was $1600. I created a split transaction whereby $2000 left the IRA (and is shown as a transfer from that account) and $400 is allocated to Income Tax with the net $1600 deposited to checking.

I've run into 2 problems.

First - when I went to make the transaction recurring, the dialog box said that the minus sign wasn't needed and removed it. OK, I guess. However, when I went to enter the reminded transaction for the next month it changed it from a transfer to the checking account from the IRA to a transfer from the checking account to the IRA. That is, of course, the exact opposite of what is occurring.

Second - I thought that perhaps reminders couldn't handle this type of incoming transfer from an IRA and that I might need to set up the reminder from the IRA side. So I went to my investment account for the IRA. But I don't see a way to set it up there.

How do I go about doing what I want? I don't want to have to manually enter 2 years of split transactions for this? Is there a solution?

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    You want to create an income reminder:  press Ctrl + J, select Add > Income reminder, enter a payee name, select Next, set the monthly due date, the net amount ($1600), the account that will receive funds, left-click on Add category, tag, or memo, left-click on the split icon (the forked arrow in a box), enter the transfer from the ira account ($2000), enter the income tax (-$400), select OK, OK, and Done.

If instead, you use a transaction as a template for a reminder (right-click and select Add reminder), Quicken attempts to determine the type of reminder using the category and tax-line item.  For a split transaction, the first entry is examined.  A transfer is a transfer reminder.   An expense tax-line item is a bill reminder.  An income tax-line item is an income reminder.  If there is no tax-line item, an expense category is a bill reminder and an income category is an income reminder. 

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    You want to create an income reminder:  press Ctrl + J, select Add > Income reminder, enter a payee name, select Next, set the monthly due date, the net amount ($1600), the account that will receive funds, left-click on Add category, tag, or memo, left-click on the split icon (the forked arrow in a box), enter the transfer from the ira account ($2000), enter the income tax (-$400), select OK, OK, and Done.

If instead, you use a transaction as a template for a reminder (right-click and select Add reminder), Quicken attempts to determine the type of reminder using the category and tax-line item.  For a split transaction, the first entry is examined.  A transfer is a transfer reminder.   An expense tax-line item is a bill reminder.  An income tax-line item is an income reminder.  If there is no tax-line item, an expense category is a bill reminder and an income category is an income reminder. 
  • Koshkaboo
    Koshkaboo Member ✭✭
    Ah, thank you. That's what I was missing
This discussion has been closed.