Options
13»

Comments

• Quicken Alyssa
    Quicken Alyssa Moderator mod
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hello @DerikW,

Thank you for deciding to come to the Community to report the issue you are having, though I apologize that you are experiencing this. 

I think a good place to start would be to turn the Automatic Entry feature OFF for these accounts. Then Deactivate them and erase the account numbers from the Account Details before reconnecting them. Before doing this, please save a backup.

To turn Auto-Entry off go to Tools>Account List>Edit (next to the account)>Online Services>Auto-Entry (switch it to off if it is on)>Deactivate>General Tab (still in the account details box)>Erase the account number (be sure to add enough digits of the account number to the end of the account name so you know which account is which when reconnecting them. 

Do the steps above for both of the accounts that you are having this issue with. Once that is done, from the Account List, you can select Add Account in the bottom right corner of the box. Then go through the prompts to reconnect the accounts. Be sure to LINK to the existing accounts rather than add new accounts. 

Do let us know if your issue persists after trying this.

Thank you!

Quicken Alyssa

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @Quicken Alyssa I think you don't understand the underline problem.

This isn't a user setup problem.

This is what is happening with the new Schwab connection (as reported by more than three people so far).
    Say you two account numbers like this 123456789-123 and 343434389-123 and for security reasons Schwab masks the account numbers to the last three digits.  Now both of these account numbers are:
    XXXXXXXXXX123

When Quicken gets these account numbers and transactions it has no way of telling the two accounts apart.  It is going to think there is only one account and as such put the transactions (and balances) in one account in Quicken.

There are only two possible fixes.
    1. Customer gets Schwab to change the account number(s) so that they don't match at the last 3 digits.
    2. Schwab changes their procedures of the account number on what is sent to Quicken (more digits, no masking, ...)
    BTW it is interesting that this the "last three digits" since when most other financial institutions mask their account numbers, they leave the last 4 digits visible.  You can still have the same problem with 4 digits, but as the number of visible digits goes up the less likely you will have this problem.

P.S. this has nothing to do with automatic transaction entry mode.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • drbuz
    drbuz Member
    Options
    I'm still experiencing this exact issue as of January 4, 2022.
  • Ronald L Doyle
    Ronald L Doyle Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken Sarah any updates on this issue?
  • Laserjock
    Laserjock Member ✭✭
    Options
    I think the latest version of Quicken I have installed has solved most of the Schwab issues for me. I currently am running version 27.1.37.66 after trying 9 other patches/updates since this Schwab issue began for me in November. This version allows me to successfully download transactions from Schwab, corrected the "inability to link and download issue" with Schwab accounts having the same final 3 digits, missing some transactions during downloads, and downloading transactions into the incorrect Schwab account. The only issue that I saw with this latest version was the requirement for 2FA (2-factor authentication) requests being issued by several financial institutions during a 1-step update. I have figured out a work-around for these FI's and now all seems to work. Hopefully, others of you have the same luck.
  • tvpluta
    tvpluta Member ✭✭
    Options
    Updated to 37.67 on 1/15, still having issues with 2 accounts ending in the same 3 last digits loading correctly into the separate accounts. Currently both are going into 1, frustrating. A work around I used was to accept all and then in the investment register move the incorrect transactions to the other account. Worked pretty well, was time consuming. Definitely miss the good old days where we were able to accept all and magically have Quicken and Schwab agree.
  • Lethea
    Lethea Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > @"Quicken Alyssa" I think you don't understand the underline problem.
    >
    > This isn't a user setup problem.

Hey Chris_QPW, it may not be a user setup problem, but by following @Quicken Alyssa's suggestion, I have finally been able to download all 5 of my active Schwab investment accounts and 1 checking into the correct accounts! Hallelujah!
  • Lethea
    Lethea Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you Alyssa!
  • Lethea
    Lethea Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Alyssa provided a solution that worked for me. It involves deleting the account number on the inactive account. https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7904974/schwab-accounts-with-the-same-last-3-digit-account-numbers
  • Quicken Alyssa
    Options
    @Lethea,

Thanks for the update, so glad the steps worked!

Quicken Alyssa

• Quicken Alyssa
    Options
    @Lethea,

Thank you for providing others with this. It is much appreciated.

If the resolution doesn't work for some, just let us know and we will address those as they are reported.

Quicken Alyssa

• tvpluta
    tvpluta Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you Lethea and Alyssa. Will give this a shot.
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi: I had the same 3-digit issue messing up Schwab downloads. Problem was fixed by deleting all instances of Charles Schwab and Schwab account numbers from any account in your Quicken database before trying to set up the download and matching Schwab accounts to existing Quicken registers. The trick is to check the account list, including hidden, old, and any no longer active accounts and make sure no mention of Schwab appears anywhere first. I did this thorough cleaning and the download setup ran perfectly and has continued to do so since I got this working again in mid-December. Good luck.
  • Laserjock
    Laserjock Member ✭✭
    Options
    @HJH Consult - Thanks for explaining what you did. It is the same thing that I did (after all the updates) to get the 3-digit Schwab issue resolved for me as well.
  • qfad
    qfad Member ✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Options
    My wife and I have multiple accounts with Charles Schwab, some individual (e.g IRAs) and some shared. We originally had two Schwab accounts set up for auto-download, but disabled one after The Troubles late last year caused transactions to be downloaded into the wrong one. Today, after backing up my data file, I re-enabled the second account and tried a download.

This time I got a familiar complaint -- that Quicken had received data for a non-existent account -- but this time the finger was pointed at Fidelity. Given that I had just successfully completed a full update for all accounts, it seems unlikely that Fidelity was suddenly sending me bad data. I looked around but didn't see anything amiss.

Digging around in Account Details, I determined that the Schwab brokerage account didn't believe it had online services enabled. It continued to believe this after I tried to set things up through Schwab a second time.

Doing a Schwab-only update caused brokerage transactions to be downloaded to the IRA account. This is the same situation I was in a few months back.

Possibly relevant: both accounts end in the same three digits, which is all that is displayed on the various screens. I assume this is just a UI feature to disguise the full account number, but if something is actually relying on the last three digits to be unique it might explain the situation.

(I'm using Quicken Deluxe for Windows, R37.67.)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Signature:
  • qfad
    qfad Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Chris_QPW Thanks for the link. I tried the procedure and it didn't help: the brokerage account transactions are still being downloaded to both accounts. I don't see IRA transactions at all.

The Account Number field in the Account Details screen does show different values for the two accounts now. 5 digits, 5 Xs, 3 digits, and the first 5 digits differ. Both accounts show that online services are enabled (automatic entry is off).

This was all working fine until late last year.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, originally, I figured this problem was because Schwab is masking too much of the account number and the result is that Quicken can't tell one account from the other.  With that then about the only things that could be done is if Schwab changed one of the account numbers for you, or if Intuit/Schwab change whatever process they do to get the account numbers.

Then I saw that comment, which was also supplied by one of the moderators in one comment, so I thought that might be the problem, but it looks like it is only true for some people.

Given that you are having problems with more than this I think maybe you need to contact Quicken Support and see if they can help.
    Contact Quicken Support
    Signature:
  • EvansWitt
    EvansWitt Member ✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Sigh. Unfortunately, we have several Schwab accounts and the last three digits of two of the accounts are identical. If this is the source of my continuing problems with Schwab, it needs to be fixed quickly. [Removed - Disruptive/Speculation]
  • qfad
    qfad Member ✭✭
    Options
    After fiddling with this some more, I've gotten to a state where, despite showing the Schwab IRA account as being enabled for updates, it doesn't actually try to sync with it. If I un-check everything but Schwab in the One Step Update Settings screen, it updates two other accounts instead.

So it appears that Quicken is broken on a much deeper level than just trouble crossing up Schwab accounts.
  • Gregg112
    Gregg112 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm having a similar issue. Could you please explain what you mean by making "sure no mention of Schwab appears anywhere" in the account list?
  • lharrismd1
    lharrismd1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    We have three accounts with the same final 3 digits, and two user ids. There is no way to activate one user id for some of the accounts and then go back and erase all Schwab info in order to activate the second user id. I have only one id updating now as I do not want to try the other one again and have all of the transactions in the wrong accounts again. In addition to having to manually check each investment transaction for accuracy this is still incredibly tedious.
  • tvpluta
    tvpluta Member ✭✭
    Options
    Extremely happy to say our accounts are now downloading correctly! :) On page 2 of this thread Lethea posted instructions from Quicken Alyssa on 1/16. We have 3 Schwab accounts, 2 ending in the same last 3 digits, these 2 accounts have separate Schwab logins. The instructions from Quicken Alyssa are good/easy to follow, after deactivating the accounts I went back to the general tab and also deleted instances of the Schwab name along with the account number. Be sure you are looking at all accounts in the account list, even hidden accounts.

So happy this is now working again, like others it has been painful.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @all

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, I am terribly sorry to hear that you are all experiencing this ongoing error with Schwab downloading into the wrong accounts. 

Could you all please go and send your information logs over to Quicken? You can do this by going to Help>Report a Problem

After sending your logs over to Quicken, could you please contact Quicken Support? This is so they can review your logs and create a ticket describing the issue and we can escalate as needed. 

The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00am PT to 5:00pm PT, Monday through Friday.

Thank you all so much for your continued patience and support as we work towards a resolution!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• tvpluta
    tvpluta Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hello @Quicken Jasmine,

thank you for a response. I've submitted logs today to Quicken support. I've had previous conversations with Quicken support, case # 9319263 has been opened to document the issue we are having. Also, there is a thread on the community page titled "Schwab accts same last 3 digits" that provides some additional details on the issue at hand.

Thank you for reaching out, looking forward to a resolution to this issue.
This discussion has been closed.