removing payee information and splits when downloading a cleared check

Options
When I download information from my bank and it encounters a check I have already recorded in the register, it removes the Payee and any split information I may have entered.

Is this a "normal" action, or do I need to change a setting or contact my bank?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you sure? Or does Quicken create a new, apparently duplicate, transaction from the downloaded information?
    In that case, you should be able to drag the downloaded "Check 1234" transaction over the manually recorded check transaction with proper payee name, category, etc., to remove the duplicate and effect a match.
  • pscogswell
    pscogswell Member ✭✭
    Options
    It used to leave the original entry in the register, but the last month it so it overwrites the original entry.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Control-click on the transaction, and look near the bottom of the pop-up menu for "Unmatch Transaction". If this option is not grayed out, it's telling you Quicken downloaded a transaction and matched it with one you had manually entered. If you select Unmatch Transaction, you should then see the downloaded transaction AND your original transaction in the register. You can simply delete the downloaded transaction and retain your original if you wish.

Typically when Quicken matches transactions, it will retain the parts you have entered manually except for the date and amount, for which it retains the downloaded value. So I'm puzzled why the download seems to be ov rerunning your manual Payee and categorization. If this is happening a lot, we can delve into it further. If it happens infrequently, then perhaps unlatching and deleting the downloaded transaction is a good enough answer. Post back to let us know if that works or not.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • pscogswell
    pscogswell Member ✭✭
    Options
    I will give it a try.

Thanks for the help
This discussion has been closed.