Investment accounts are super slow with 2010 version

AFA
AFA Member
edited December 2021 in Before you Buy
Hello,

I have been using Quicken 2010 for many years and it works fine except for one big problem. I am wondering whether upgrading will solve the problem or if it will continue because of the number of transactions I have. The problem is that recording any transaction or reconciling in investment accounts is PAINFULLY slow (30-60 seconds to save each transaction or check off on reconciliation). I buy and sell stocks very frequently and I waste countless HOURS waiting for the system to finally record each transaction. I have a fast PC and recording transactions and reconciling checking and credit card accounts works fine. I would hate to upgrade and start incurring an annual expense if stock transactions and reconciliations in my investment accounts continue to be slow. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Armando Alonso
[email address removed for privacy]

Best Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    If you update to the subscription version, you can try the new Archive Transactions operation found under the investment account's gear icon. This will clean out transactions involving securities you no longer own.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓
    Since you can't see it in Q2010, I'll add a screen capture of the dialog Quicken presents when you invoke this operation. Reducing the number of transactions in your working account might speed things up.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    If you update to the subscription version, you can try the new Archive Transactions operation found under the investment account's gear icon. This will clean out transactions involving securities you no longer own.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓
    Since you can't see it in Q2010, I'll add a screen capture of the dialog Quicken presents when you invoke this operation. Reducing the number of transactions in your working account might speed things up.

• AFA
    AFA Member
    Thank you!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If moving transactions to another account is going to speed things up (that is what the Archive feature does) then the "old school" method to do something similar would be to use the "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" action to move closed lots to another account.

Note though before I would assume this, or the Archive feature will help I would try making entries in a new investment account.  If you don't get faster results there, then this kind of thing will not help.

Quicken doesn't read a given account until it is needed, and in investment accounts a large number of securities and especially the number of security lots, and transactions slows it down considerably.  So, by moving them to another account you might speed things up.

But unfortunately Quicken can slow down for other reasons and as such this might not be the problem.
    Another thing I would try is Validate and Repair.  Sometimes corruption in the data file slows things down.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Chris_QPW said:
    If moving transactions to another account is going to speed things up (that is what the Archive feature does) then the "old school" method to do something similar would be to use the "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" action to move closed lots to another account.
    You can't transfer shares from closed lots. Closed lots are already empty of shares.
    The user can attempt to move all transactions involving closed positions manually, but this could be time-consuming and error-prone, especially in an old version lacking mass transaction operations in investment accounts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    You can't transfer shares from closed lots. Closed lots are already empty of shares.
    The user can attempt to move all transactions involving closed positions manually, but this could be time-consuming and error-prone, especially in an old version lacking mass transaction operations in investment accounts.
    Thanks for the information.  Sorry I wasn't aware of this fact.

I would still do the test in a new account though to make sure the problem really is only in that one account.
    Signature:
  • AFA
    AFA Member
    Thanks to both of you. I set up a new investment account and it works fine. My HSA and 401k accounts are also fine. The two accounts where I buy and sell frequently with many closed lots and many incoming dividend transactions are where the problem lies. I will try the new version and the archive feature. Thanks again.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It occurs to me that I had the "old school system" backwards.  The process would have been to use the Move shares of the open lots to the new account, and then use the new account.
    Signature:
  • AFA
    AFA Member
    Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.