Cannot disable multicurrency support

Drinkingbird
Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
Using latest update/version of QW, but this has been an issue ever since I was on the 2017 version.  I enabled multicurrency a few years ago thinking I was going to have to track a foreign stock (turns out I didn't have to).  I think I even created a test account and security, but deleted them soon after and now have no accounts or securities in anything other than US dollars.  However when I uncheck that option, it says to delete foreign accounts and securities first.  

As a test I deleted literally every account and security (after backing up of course).  I deleted all currencies other than USD.  I deleted all categories, payees, bills/income.  Still it gives that error.  Validated and supervalidated the file, still gives the error.

Is it impossible to disable this feature once enabled?  It isn't a huge deal but the portfolio view forces a fairly wide column to show the $ sign - and I have a lot of columns in my portfolio view and this is wasting space forcing me to make other columns smaller to fit on the screen.

Comments

• Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well I answered my own question.  I did a file copy within quicken, then super validated the copy.  After that it allowed me to disable it.  Honestly I always thought that super validate was just a combination of file copy and validate (since it asks for password for the new file, etc).  But I guess there are some differences.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, in the Portfolio View it is possible to make the Currency column smaller. On my system, I've narrowed it to less than 1/2", showing only "Cur..." in the header. Just drag the vertical separator bar "|" at the right side of the Currency column to the left until it's small enough.
    Validate and Supervalidate are separate programs, each looking for and trying to fix a specific set of data file problems. Neither one is a magic cure-all for everything that might be wrong within a data file. Sometimes I wish there was documentation which describes exactly what each program's trying to fix ...
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    About the only description I have heard for the difference between Validate and SuperValidate is that SuperValidate is "more aggressive" and as such should be used with even more caution than Validate.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    BTW, in the Portfolio View it is possible to make the Currency column smaller. On my system, I've narrowed it to less than 1/2", showing only "Cur..." in the header. Just drag the vertical separator bar "|" at the right side of the Currency column to the left until it's small enough.
    Validate and Supervalidate are separate programs, each looking for and trying to fix a specific set of data file problems. Neither one is a magic cure-all for everything that might be wrong within a data file. Sometimes I wish there was documentation which describes exactly what each program's trying to fix ...
    Yeah I shrunk it down to just enough to show the "$" but it expands back to about 1/2" like you say upon restart.  My portfolio view is pretty full and every bit counts (older computer that I just use for finance stuff and screen resolution isn't huge).  It also seemed like things have been slower since enabling support so wanted to clear it out.

As far as I know supervalidate will do everything validate will do and just be more thorough about its checking.  It does appear to copy the file as it asks for a new password, however it doesn't delete your online information (like a copy does) so must be something in between.

Turns out the validate and copy were not the fix for me anyway (see other post I'm going to do).
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    About the only description I have heard for the difference between Validate and SuperValidate is that SuperValidate is "more aggressive" and as such should be used with even more caution than Validate.
    Yeah it seems to do some sort of copy as it asks for a  new password, however it does not erase your online info, so who knows.  I've seen issues caused by both validate and supervalidate in the past but my file seems to be at a point where those don't happen anymore.
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well I answered my own question.  I did a file copy within quicken, then super validated the copy.  After that it allowed me to disable it.  Honestly I always thought that super validate was just a combination of file copy and validate (since it asks for password for the new file, etc).  But I guess there are some differences.
    So it turns out copy, validate, supervalidate did not actually have anything to do with solving my problem.

I had tried so many different things that I wanted to start over, so I restored a backup from before I started tinkering.  Then did a copy, and supervalidate.  Restarted quicken, and it would not let me disable multi-currency.  Then I remembered, since copy removes your online information, that I had started setting them back up before disabling currency (successfully) last time.  So I re-enabled one account, alliant credit union.  After that, viola, it let me disable currency.  I don't know if the alliant account was corrupted (it had never been used for any other currency) or if it was something to do with online services that was corrupted and disabling/re-enabling is what fixed it.  After that, I did a validate of the file and it did say it fixed a problem with alliant (this was after disabling multi-currency).  So not exactly sure what the issue was.

So I guess if anyone else runs into this, try the below:
    1.  Copy your file, which will disable all online services.  Open the new copy
    2.  Re-set up all your online services
    3.  Disable multi-currency (hopefully it works now)
    4.  Validate or super-validate your file

As a side effect, resetting all online services (I even deleted my password vault) seems to have made online updates faster, especially the ones that use the new "EWC+" method.  Not sure if this is related to disabling multi-currency, fixing possible corruption with that one account, or just the cleanup that happens when you copy the file and delete/re-add your online services.
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting - after re-enabling all online services, I did another validate.  All the ones that use EWC+ say they were "fixed".  Strange.
This discussion has been closed.