Corrupted files

kayaking
kayaking Member ✭✭
Quicken database hacked. Up address hacked. Banking info corrupted. Why? How to correct?

Answers

• Quicken Jade
    Quicken Jade Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, @kayaking I apologize you're experiencing this issue. I need some more information to answer your question. What are you unable to access? Are you having difficulty opening the Quicken program or downloading your transactions? 
  • kayaking
    kayaking Member ✭✭
    Opening the program. Then the quicken tech said the Q-data is not synchronizing with exchange server properly and Qdatabase was hacked.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure you contacted Quicken Customer Care? There is no "exchange server" with Quicken. Exchange Server is an type of email server. How did you contact Quicken Customer Care?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • kayaking
    kayaking Member ✭✭
    Thru quicken support number
  • Quicken Jade
    Quicken Jade Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    What phone number did you use to contact Quicken support? Please give us a call at 650-250-1900 thank you! @kayaking
  • kayaking
    kayaking Member ✭✭
    Jade, I called 650-250-1900,a week ago. They gave me the Quicken Support number of 712-254-8025. A gentlemen named James looked at Quicken and gave me the results, (after about an hour on my computer. Then he tried to sell me anti-hacking security for $$$. I did not accept. Hope I did not do the wrong thing by letting him access the computer
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe Quicken Customer Care would give a number to call that was a scammer. Are you sure you didn't Google Quicken Support? They were definitely scammers:

(712) 254-8025 is a Tech Support Scam (bobrtc.tel)
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    @kayaking - I am happy to hear you did not pay "James" anything.  But letting him access your computer and your Quicken file should be a concern to you because he might have been able to access and/or download files and whatever sensitive personal information you have in your Quicken data file and/or elsewhere in your computer like email addresses, account numbers, UserID's, passwords, etc. 
    If I were you, I would immediately start changing UserID's and passwords at the financial institutions I have set up in Quicken as well as my password for Quicken. 
    I would also make sure to get a freeze put on my credit info at each of the credit agencies (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion).  Get a freeze which is free and not a lock which will cost you.  Both do essentially the same thing by preventing the credit agencies from sending out your credit scores/reports to lenders so they are less likely to extend loans or open financial/credit card accounts in your name to people who are not you.
    Then I would start closely monitoring my credit reports and financial accounts for fraudulent activity.
    I am not trying to scare you but someone you do not know was given access to your computer and that can open a lot of identity, financial and legal risks for you that can be very difficult and costly to get resolved.  The actions mentioned here can greatly help to reduce your risk exposure.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• kayaking
    kayaking Member ✭✭
    Thankyou. I started to do that. 👍
  • Quicken Jade
    Quicken Jade Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @kayaking, I am very sorry to hear that you experienced that. I did not see any tickets from the last week of you calling but I will continue researching this as Quicken support should not have referred you to the 712-254-8025 number. That is not a Quicken support number and I am glad to hear that you didn't pay them however I would definitely follow @Boatnmaniac suggestions. 
  • kayaking
    kayaking Member ✭✭
    Jade. Thankyou I just changed all my financial passwords. Can’t believe I fell for that
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    kayaking said:
    Jade. Thankyou I just changed all my financial passwords. Can’t believe I fell for that
    Don't be too hard on yourself.  You are not the first person to experience this and for sure you will not be the last.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• kayaking
    kayaking Member ✭✭
    Jade. It was prob about a month ago. I have lost track of time😱
This discussion has been closed.