Close Current File: yes? no?

I download from etrade and when I try open the file in Quicken I get an error message: Close Current File - with a yes and a no option. Neither option provides the desired result. Any suggestions? Using the current version of Quicken Deluxe: R37.37

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What format is the file, is it QFX?
    If it is QIF then you will get what you reported because even though they have registered Quicken to open QIF files they don't actually do it, and then Quicken thinks you are trying to open a QDF file, and as such wants to close the current one, before trying to open the QIF file (which will fail).

You should be importing QFX files not QIF files, but if you really want to import a QIF file you should use File -> File Import -> QIF File...
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Etrade has only one option for Quicken download: Quicken Web Connect for Quicken 2004 and Quicken Macintosh. There are no options for file type.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    May I ask why you're trying to download transaction files from the E*Trade website?
    Both E*Trade brokerage and E*Trade Bank have been working flawlessly for me for many years when activating their accounts for downloading from One Step Update within Quicken. For the brokerage use "Quicken E*Trade" as the financial institution name, for bank use "E*Trade bank". The same userid and password work for both brokerage and bank.
    Download in regular intervals, at least once a month, to not miss any transactions
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Etrade has only one option for Quicken download: Quicken Web Connect for Quicken 2004 and Quicken Macintosh. There are no options for file type.
    Look at the file type it will be either .QFX or .QIF.   QFX files can be opened in your web browser or Windows File Explorer and they will open in Quicken and import.  For QIF files you have to open them with Quicken's File -> File Import -> QIF File...
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Thank you UKR; that sorted things out.
This discussion has been closed.