Import from non-Quicken software

Options
romad
romad Member ✭✭
I want to import some data covering about 8 accounts (checking, savings, and credit cards) and about 1 year of time. The non-Quicken software can export QIF or TDF files, but Quicken for Mac doesn't show these under File>Import. Is it still possible to directly import?

Oh, I also have iCompta and iFinance (Mac versions) available which can import QIF and export OFX or CSV; would it be possible to use either of them as a translator?

Answers

• Quicken Jade
    Quicken Jade Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @romad, unfortunately at this time Quicken Mac does not support QIF import directly, only Quicken Windows. As far as using iCompta and iFinance I would recommend contacting them for any questions about their import process. Thank you for participating in our community!
    -Quicken Jade
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    If you can export as OFX, that will get you close to what Quicken can import. But Quicken uses a minor variant, QFX. The only change is the ID number of an authorized financial institution, so you'd need to edit the text file to add that. Google INTU.BID to find how you can spoof financial institutions.

Or you can get third-party software which can do this, including converting from QIF files. I can't attest to any specific product; I just know they exist and you can find them if you search for QIF to QFX. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • romad
    romad Member ✭✭
    Options
    OK, the easiest path is impossible, so using a "middleman" conversion software would be the way to go.

iCompta will import QIF and will export OFX so probably the main concern would be if Quicken for Mac can import the exported OFX file. Does anyone know if Quicken will import an OFX file from other software or is it limited to only from banks/brokerages?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @romad, as I wrote just above, Quicken will import QFX files, not plain OFX files. The only difference is the identifier for the financial institution, which Quicken validated to see that they are signed on with Quicken. One can edit the OFX file to add a line to spoof a legitimate Quicken Financial institution. Google INTU.BID to learn more. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • romad
    romad Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @jacobs said:
    > @romad, as I wrote just above, Quicken will import QFX files, not plain OFX files. The only difference is the identifier for the financial institution, which Quicken validated to see that they are signed on with Quicken. One can edit the OFX file to add a line to spoof a legitimate Quicken Financial institution. Google INTU.BID to learn more. 

Interesting because when I go to File>Import it says "Bank or Brokerage File (OFX, QFX)" which implies it isn't limited to only certain banks or brokerages. Hmm, more and more it looks like it would be better to just trash Quicken altogether, as they just can't seem to get their act together. I'll look at that Google search though before I decide.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another way is if you are a registered Mint user.  

1 You can export a .csv file from Mint and import that into Quicken Mac.

2 Or...you can export any .csv file from Mint, even if it's just a few transactions...import into a spreadsheet and look at the mapping of the fields.  Then, import your non-Quicken transaction .csv file to your spreadsheet...and map the spreadsheet to be identical to the Mint .csv layout and format.  Then save...and import to Quicken Mac via the Mint .csv option.  This may take a bit of work, but it does work.  

This is from another Quicken Mac user:

Import mint.csv into Quicken Mac

I've spent a lot of time working with Quicken and the "Mint.csv" import. This update applies to:

macOS 12.0.1

Quicken Premier Version 6.4.5 (Build 604.41859.100)

What follows are various notes I've taken:

DOS, Mac, or Unix file type doesn’t seem to matter. (e.g. , \r, on \n line termination doesn’t seem to matter)

Transaction Type CAN NOT have spaces: credit or debit

Sign on Amount makes no difference. Other posts seem to say that Transaction Type doesn’t matter but the sign does. I could not get that to work.

Column names in first row do not seem to matter.

9 columns (as Quicken will call them after the import)

1. Date

2. Payee

3. Not Seen

4. Amount

5. Transaction Type

6. Category

7. Reference

8. Tags

9. Notes / Memos

Tags are space separated

This discussion has been closed.