Math Error in a single trans in Transaction Report (2 x 2 = 92 quadrillion)

Options
MattT
MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
My Net Worth graph in the Home Tab went haywire lately.  It was fine and now shows my Net Worth to be -$92 quadrillion.  I traced it down to a single 12/17 transaction in one of my taxable investment accounts. 

A Buy transaction was downloaded from my broker and reported into the Register for that Account just fine. (60 shares x -$20 = -$1200); perfect.  The Register and the Account Summary window are all fine.  However, the Net Worth graph & report are as described above.  Tracing it down from there, I find that the Buy transaction, as seen in a Transaction Report, reports the total as 60 shares x -$20 = -$92 quadrillion!!!  Again, the Account Register is just fine.

Why is that?

I have deleted the offending transaction, and re-entered it; no change. 

I have deleted the transaction, exited the program, rebooted the computer, returned to QW, re-entered the transaction; no change.

I have deleted the Buy transaction and two Cap Gain transactions and replaced them all with two ReInv transactions (which is what the Buy was effectively doing; same result.

I have Validated the file and received the following error message, referencing the offending transaction [although nothing was "corrected" that I can see]: 
  • Corrected 1 Bought or Shares Added transaction that was incorrectly categorized as a realized gain.  If any of these should have been for a Cover Short Sale, you should modify them. 
Any assistance appreciated.

TIA
Matt

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That 92 quad is a well known number.  It indicates that your have a (perhaps severely) damaged Q data file.
    See if FILE > Validate and Repair file > Validate file helps.
    If not, you'll need to restore from backups (going from most recent to progressively older) until you no longer have the issue. 
    When you find a restored backup that doesn't have the issue, Validate it.
    If you download into Q, many of your transactions since that backup should re-download.  The others you'll have to re-create manually.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I restored from the latest backup prior to 12/17 (the date of the offending transaction).  When I download the specific 12/17 transaction again, the 92 quad error returns.  Should I keep progressing to older backups or does this indicate a different issue?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @MattT,

The short answer is - Yes.  You need to go back in time until you get to a backup file that does not exhibit this problem.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have gone back 3 months, so far.  I can add just that one transaction to the register (i.e. I don't have to accept all the other downloaded transactions), and that'll fry it.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again@MattT,

So, are you saying that this "one transaction" is a downloaded transaction? And if so:
    1) what is the date of that transaction and which type of transaction is it?
    2) where are you downloading it from?
    3) would it be possible for you to enter it manually, rather than downloading it?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Frankx.  The offending tx is dated 12/17/21.  It's a transaction from Fidelity, a BUY transaction.  I have deleted it and re-entered it to no avail.  I have also deleted the two cap gain tx (and the Buy) from the register and replaced with a single ReInv to accomplish the same effect, but that also causes the error.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @MattT,

It may sound strange, but the file corruption apparently goes further back in time than you've been restoring.  While the transaction you believe that has caused the problem is dated 12/17/21, it appears that the file corruption must have occurred prior to that, because you are still seeing it in the backup files you have restored so far.

As an alternative to your continuing to fix it yourself, I would suggest that you consider contacting Quicken Support - here's that LINK.

Frankx 

• MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Frankx: when I try to validate, I get the below error message, which makes no sense to me on a Buy order.  The remainder of the validation shows no problems.:

Corrected 1 Bought or Shares Added transaction that was incorrectly categorized as a realized gain.
    If any of these should have been for a Cover Short Sale, you should modify them. Listed:
  • MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Frankx: I take that back.  The Validation shows:

Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account "<AccountName>", security "<MUTUALFUND>", on 5/11/2018 that might be missing.

However, the transaction is there and correct.  I don't know why Q keeps showing this.
  • MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Rebuilt Investing Lots and problem (per se) went away.  However, Net Worth graph is substantially low.  Reviewing Account Balances shows a number of those are in error.  However, Account Summary and Transactions are still ok.
  • MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I removed Net Worth window from View.  Exited program.  Opened program, added Net Worth window to View and all is good.  Values correctly shown.  I'm done.  Validation shows all clear except for the Stock Split "might be" message noted above, but can't seem to get rid of that.
This discussion has been closed.