Does Quicken often have errors when downloading equity transactions from Morgan Stanley?

OmahaMike
OmahaMike Member
Whenever there is a name change, merger, stock split or other corporate action, I have to manually figure out what happened and make correcting entries. What is often autogenerated are add stock or remove stock placeholders. Also, it is frequent that stock name changes and such will lead to only a fraction of the actual transaction being reports. Example, instead of removing 80 shares, it records as .8 shares and then a placeholder is created to reconcile the difference. Does anyone know what i might be able to do to fix this?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    "Whenever there is a name change, merger, stock split or other corporate action, I have to manually figure out what happened and make correcting entries. What is often autogenerated are add stock or remove stock placeholders."
    I'd say Morgan Stanley is at fault here and there's not much you can do about it except move your account. 
    I would hazard a guess - and that's all it is - that most brokers don't handle "corporate actions" correctly very often and if you're getting real "placeholders", not even downloaded Remove and Add transactions, then it sounds like MG isn't even trying. 
This discussion has been closed.