How to create a new quicken file, AND......?

2»

Answers

• deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > A terminology issue: Do you have several actual accounts at the bank that you use for different purposes, or are you talking about what Quicken calls Categories - different types of income or expenses?
    >
    > And when you refer to Tags, do you also mean Categories? Normally you would use Categories for different types of expenses - maintenance, utilities, auto expenses, etc. and you might use Tags to identify different properties or projects.

Yes, i have multiple savings used for different purposes' at the bank

I'm talking about Quickens categories, the column marked "Categories, Category List..." happens in both income and expense

When I refer to TAGS, I'm referring to TAGS/ TAGS column... (where you can label items), I'm not as concerned about this problem as much as I am the other.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, so the check comes in from the tenant and you deposit it in your checking account.  

Do you then transfer portions of the payment to various savings accounts at the bank and enter one or more transactions in Quicken to match these transfers and the money ends up in the wrong accounts at the bank? I am trying to see where the process might break down or things might be entered incorrectly.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > Ok, so the check comes in from the tenant and you deposit it in your checking account.  
    >
    > Do you then transfer portions of the payment to various savings accounts at the bank and enter one or more transactions in Quicken to match these transfers and the money ends up in the wrong accounts at the bank? I am trying to see where the process might break down or things might be entered incorrectly.

***Jim, I appreciate you time and any help you can give, but I just want to mention that a couple of others have tried to help me and, frankly I think I'm just S.O.L and might have to start from scratch with a new file, BUT Im still experimenting and am open to any suggestions and further help. Here is a list of some issues, previously posted.

Part of the problems I was/am having with my "original" file is for example, at the beginning of the month I receive my tenants rent payment. A few days after that the check is divided/broken up and distributed to various savings, that I have set up with my bank and this happens every single month. This system has been working fine for several years in general and within Quicken and my bank, until recently (several months ago) money intended for one savings/category is ending up in another category sometimes in multiple categories (money intended for lets say repair/maintenance is showing up in my heath/wellness account and sometimes in a second category with in the same update....and this is happening in multiple accounts.

>>Another recurring issue, tags are getting all jumbled up and missed tagged; ex. Savings account for let say DMV is tagged, personal savings or gifts....

>>>Another issue recurring, I balance at the end of every month, but lately in several accounts not always the same one I will have random money usually excess throwing my account off and there is NO transaction accounting for or correlating with it within Quicken or my bank, so I'm having to adjust off.... several accounts last few months.

>>>Another issue I have been having is I'm getting duplicate transactions, randomly
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do start with a new file, I suggest you experiment with Quicken's budgeting features. They take a little learning, but they are quite flexible and comprehensive and I think they might replace your system of using multi[le bank accounts,

The start of a new year is a good time to do this.

Good luck!
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.