Thrift Savings Plan Portfolio Not Updating

Options
2»

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Javalover,

I would suggest that you first get a steaming hot cup of coffee, and then consider contacting Quicken Jared (who is a Quicken Moderator who weighed in on this thread very early on - see above post dated 12/20/2021).  You can post your issue here (just make sure that you address it to "@Quicken Jared", or you can send an email by clicking on the little envelope icon at the very top of this message thread on the right hand side.

Good luck.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Hackstar18
    Hackstar18 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    What I'm actually starting to wonder because as I look at the portfolio screen, I'm seeing bi-weekly cash deposits rolling in which the dates on them have been lining up with the bi-weekly fund contribution dates, but then seem to disappear on subsequent dates where the deposit is actually invested into the funds (see the 2 attached images reflecting 2 different dates). I'm starting to wonder if the issue is more in line with that the funds that the TSP uses are not publicly available so there is not a ticker symbol associated that Quicken is able to track and thus, it can't actually pull them into to the program.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @Hackstar18,

You raise an interesting point. 

However Quicken actually can track securities which are not publicly traded (i.e. private securities, private mutual funds, etc.) as long as prices can be downloaded into Quicken (or entered manually into Quicken). Many times, the financial institutions will allow plan participants to download QFX files which contain plan data, including transactions and security prices, and the QFX files can be easily uploaded into Quicken.  So I don't believe that is what is stopping TSP from allowing Quicken to download transactions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Hackstar18
    Hackstar18 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Frankx said:
    > Hi again @Hackstar18,
    >
    > You raise an interesting point. 
    >
    > However Quicken actually can track securities which are not publicly traded (i.e. private securities, private mutual funds, etc.) as long as prices can be downloaded into Quicken (or entered manually into Quicken). Many times, the financial institutions will allow plan participants to download QFX files which contain plan data, including transactions and security prices, and the QFX files can be easily uploaded into Quicken.  So I don't believe that is what is stopping TSP from allowing Quicken to download transactions.
    >
    > Frankx

On the regular connection type where you can manually set everything up that is true. But with the new Quicken Connect method, since the individual transaction data isn't actually downloaded I have to question whether it can see non-public funds and tickers. The fact that it can see and display those cash deposits implies that the connection can see something in the account when those are present meaning the connection is actually somewhat working as intended.

Again though, this would be more beneficial if someone from the Quicken team would come back into this thread at some point and give some sort of response to the ticket number and escalation I previously posted since this is now going on month 3 of this problem. Because right now the advice has been the equivalent of "restart your computer and see what happens" which clearly is not the problem.
  • SteveF9608
    SteveF9608 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Came across this (if links are allowed), looks like both parties will have to come to an agreement on how to get the data into Quicken. https://cashmoneylife.com/how-to-download-tsp-into-quicken/
  • larc2
    larc2 Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Thanks @SteveF9608 interesting read about TSP.  According to the TSP website major changes and improvements are coming later to this year ( No mention of Quicken yet) https://www.tsp.gov/new-tsp-features/?utm_source=website&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=getexcited1
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    looks like both parties will have to come to an agreement on how to get the data into Quicken. 
    If any financial institution, including the US government, wants their accounts to work with Quicken, they have to sign an agreement with Intuit (connectivity service provider for Quicken), and depending on the type of connectivity an size of the institution, there is a fee Intuit charges. There can also be the cost of setting up server(s) for third-party connectivity, and added customer support for users who are having problems. But the bottom line is that it's up to each financial institution to decide whether to support  Quicken. There's nothing the two parties have to "come to an agreement on"; Quicken/Intuit will support any financial institution which signs on, and they won't support those which don't.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.