Resource Fork Is Missing

nello
nello Member ✭✭
Today I'm getting this error message when I open my Quicken file:

"The resource fork is missing.

"If you copied this file from another computer, try creating a .zip archive of the original file and copying the .zip file instead. After copying the .zip file to this computer, you can unzip the original file by double-clicking the .zip file."

I converted from Quicken '97 a year ago and there have been no problems since then. I'm currently on Version 6.5.1 (Build 605.42638.100) macOS 12.1

Questions:

1. What does Quicken do with the Resource Fork?

2. What is missing without the Resource Fork?

3. What am I supposed to fix the file and get rid of this message?


Thank you for reading.

Best Answer

  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer
    nello said:
    @RickO

    I found the files in files in:

    (user) > Library > Application Support > Quicken > Backups > Automatic Backups


    This folder has file names that I don't understand. However, I do understand the file names in this sibling folder:

    … / Application Support / Quicken / Documents


    So, I used Time Machine to restore my last-known-good file (before today's upgrade from version 6.4.4) and it opens now without the error. I had only one transaction to enter to bring it up to date.

    Thank you.
    nello,

    I am glad to hear that the issue seems to have been resolved, and thank you for all of your assistance in this matter, @RickO.

    Feel free to return with any further questions.

    Thanks,

    Quicken Jared 

Answers

  • nello said:
    Today I'm getting this error message when I open my Quicken file:

    "The resource fork is missing.

    "If you copied this file from another computer, try creating a .zip archive of the original file and copying the .zip file instead. After copying the .zip file to this computer, you can unzip the original file by double-clicking the .zip file."

    I converted from Quicken '97 a year ago and there have been no problems since then. I'm currently on Version 6.5.1 (Build 605.42638.100) macOS 12.1

    Questions:

    1. What does Quicken do with the Resource Fork?

    2. What is missing without the Resource Fork?

    3. What am I supposed to fix the file and get rid of this message?


    Thank you for reading.
    Hello nello,

    I know that error messages like these can be troubling and confusing. Thank you, nonetheless, for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community. This thread may be able to provide you with additional information:

    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7897365/trying-to-retrieve-information-from-quicken-2007-qdfm-files-have-new-quicken

    You might try restoring from a backup to see if you receive the same error message. After attempting this, you may also try using the Time Machine if it has been set up on your device. Here is a thread that will cover this in more detail:

    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20080023/#Comment_20080023

    Thanks,

    Quicken Jared 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @nello Do you have your Quicken file stored on your computer in a location that is synced to any cloud storage service (e.g. Dropbox, iCloud Drive)? If you have iCloud Drive enabled to sync your Desktop and/or Documents folder and your Quicken file is stored there, that would count. Syncing the Quicken file to the cloud is not supported and can cause this kind of error.

    As for backups, even if you don't have automatic backups turned on, Quicken does automatically make a backup of your file each time you do a Quicken software update. Since you recently updated to 6.5.0 and 6.5.1, you should have backups corresponding to each of these. They can be found at (user) > Library > Application Support > Quicken > Backups > Automatic Backups.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • nello
    nello Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    @RickO

    Yes, my Quicken data file is in my Documents folder.

    No, my Documents folder is NOT synced to a cloud backup service. (See attached screenshot of iCloud Drive configuration.)


    UPDATE:
    Turns out that the file in my Documents folder was the data file I used with Quicken '97. The data file I am using with the current version of Quicken is really in:

    (user) > Library > Application Support > Quicken > Documents
  • nello
    nello Member ✭✭
    @Jared

    As I said, I converted my Quicken '97 file A YEAR AGO and have had no file integrity problems since then.
  • nello said:
    @Jared

    As I said, I converted my Quicken '97 file A YEAR AGO and have had no file integrity problems since then.
    nello,

    I understand that it has been operating a certain way for some time and I apologize for any confusion, but bear in mind that the software is updating constantly, and it does so out of necessity. Uninstalling and Reinstalling Quicken would be your next option, provided that you are saving a backup.

    Thanks,

    Quicken Jared 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2021
    @nello To determine if it is the Quicken app or your data file that is causing the problem, do this:
    1. Locate Quicken.app in your Mac's top level Applications folder
    2. While holding down the Shift key, double click Quicken.app
    3. Continue holding the Shift key until you see the dialog "Do you want to open (filename)"
    4. Click Cancel on that dialog
    5. You should then see the Let's Get Started dialog (you can quit Quicken at this point).
    If you get to the Let's Get Started dialog, then the problem is likely with your data file. You can try creating a new, temporary data file from the Let's Get Started dialog (Start from scratch) to see if that works.

    If you can't get to the Let's Get Started dialog, then the problem is with your Quicken app (not your data file). I think this more likely due to the "resource fork" error. If that's the case, then delete Quicken.app from the Applications folder and download a fresh copy from your account at quicken.com (this will not affect your data file).

    Oh, one more thing: have you restarted the computer? Restarting the computer can fix a wide variety of weird glitches.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • nello
    nello Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    @RickO

    Yes, I followed your directions regarding holding the shift key while double-clicking on Quicken.app. I got to the Getting Started screen, so I zeroed in on my data file, as you suggested.

    I found the files in:

    (user) > Library > Application Support > Quicken > Backups > Automatic Backups


    This folder has file names that I don't understand. However, I do understand the file names in this sibling folder:

    … / Application Support / Quicken / Documents


    So, I used Time Machine to restore my last-known-good file (before today's upgrade from version 6.4.4) and it opens now without the error. I had only one transaction to enter to bring it up to date.

    Thank you.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer
    nello said:
    @RickO

    I found the files in files in:

    (user) > Library > Application Support > Quicken > Backups > Automatic Backups


    This folder has file names that I don't understand. However, I do understand the file names in this sibling folder:

    … / Application Support / Quicken / Documents


    So, I used Time Machine to restore my last-known-good file (before today's upgrade from version 6.4.4) and it opens now without the error. I had only one transaction to enter to bring it up to date.

    Thank you.
    nello,

    I am glad to hear that the issue seems to have been resolved, and thank you for all of your assistance in this matter, @RickO.

    Feel free to return with any further questions.

    Thanks,

    Quicken Jared 
  • Nicole C
    Nicole C Member
    I'm having the same problem but I don't have access to the original files or a Timemachine backup from that time. Any help would be appreciated.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Nicole C said:
    I'm having the same problem but I don't have access to the original files or a Timemachine backup from that time. Any help would be appreciated.
    @NicoleC Could you clarify whether the file you're having trouble with is a Quicken 2007 data file or a current Quicken Mac data file?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.