Why are some of my downloaded transactions misidentified?

Options
After the last few Quicken updates, when I update my transactions, some of the bank transactions (checks mostly) show up as a dining transaction for my HOA. Just this morning, checks written to my children both showed up that way. There are a few other misidentifications, but it is most often incorrectly flagged as a HOA transaction. While I can't see the download from the bank, nothing online in the account is listed that way. This is getting frustrated having to fix these errors, and makes me distrustful of the other data.

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Go to Tools > Renaming rules and see if there is a rule for your HOA Dining. Review the rules for that and edit or delete any that are overly broad or incorrect.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • MickeyRat
    MickeyRat Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you! It was set to change anything downloaded with 'Check' in the name field, to the HOA payee. No idea how that happened, but I bet that is the culprit. Thank you very much for your quick, and I'm sure accurate response! I have deleted that rule and will keep an eye on it, but I'm confident you've hit the bullseye.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Go to Tools > Renaming rules and see if there is a rule for your HOA Dining. Review the rules for that and edit or delete any that are overly broad or incorrect.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • MickeyRat
    MickeyRat Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you! It was set to change anything downloaded with 'Check' in the name field, to the HOA payee. No idea how that happened, but I bet that is the culprit. Thank you very much for your quick, and I'm sure accurate response! I have deleted that rule and will keep an eye on it, but I'm confident you've hit the bullseye.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please ensure that all optional settings in Quicken pertaining to recall, memorization, automatic categorization and renaming of payee names are enabled. You find those settings in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry & Quickfill and Downloaded Transactions. Additional settings can be found for the detection and processing of transfer transactions in Edit / Preferences / Transfer detection.
    You want to set Quicken to prompt you when creating Renaming Rules.
  • MickeyRat
    Options
    Thank you for this. I don't rely on the renaming functions hardly at all, and this will help me tighten up my rules, and perhaps expand them some to make them more useful for me.
This discussion has been closed.