Create Year End Archive

CLI
CLI Member
The option to Create the Year End file is not showing on the drop down. I have the instructions and can see what the drop down is suppose to look like but on my computer it is cut off just below the Create a copy or template. How can I correct this problem?
Tagged:

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Hi @CLI,

That option is somewhat hidden now.  To get there take the following steps:

1) Go to "File" > "Copy or Backup File..."
    2) Under "Advanced Options" > click on the "Create a year-end archive" > then click "Next"
    3) in the next window (see Snip below)- make the selections that you want.  But please keep in mind that if you select the bottom button in the "Current File" section, that you will lose the ability to see any transactions in your Quicken file for those years that you chose to exclude (basically except for investment transactions, unreconciled transactions, and transfers).
    4) Select where you want to locate the archive file:
    5) Select the "end date" for transactions to be included in the archive file:
    6) Click on the "Save Archive" button.

One more thing - make sure you create a good backup file before you take these steps.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• roywallace
    roywallace Member ✭✭
    My current file goes back to 2008. After creating an archive, I want only transactions dated from 1/1/2020 to remain in the current file. When I choose to do this, my current file remains unchanged?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Hi again @roywallace

If you archive your current datafile and while doing that process, and if you choose that you want transactions in your file starting with 1/1/2020, then most of the transactions prior to that date will be removed from your current file - with the exception of:
    • unreconciled transactions
    • investment transactions
    • transfer transactions
    Those 3 types of transactions will still be in your file after archiving.

Let me know if you have any other followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Frankx said:
    Hi again @roywallace

If you archive your current datafile and while doing that process, is you choose that you want transactions in your file starting with 1/1/2020, then most of the transactions prior to that date will be removed from your current file - with the exception of:
    • unreconciled transactions
    • investment transactions
    • transfer transactions
    Those 3 types of transactions will still be in your file after archiving.

Let me know if you have any other followups.

Frankx

Transfer transactions will be removed provided that they are reconciled in both of the accounts.
    Which BTW setups for a problem.  Notice the rules are that investment transactions aren't removed, but if both sides of the transfer are reconciled the transaction will be removed.  How does that play out?

I did a test looking at very checking account and investment account with a transfer between them that has been reconciled on both sides.
    The checking account after the Year End Copy:
    The transaction in the investment account:

So, what happens if I select that transaction and ask to go to the linked account/transaction?

So, this is one way to get Quicken to break linked transfers (EDIT which isn't desirable).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.