Is it possible to update investment prices/values manually? (Q Mac)

rdoucet
rdoucet Member
edited February 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Quicken doe not download current values for some of my investments.
Can I do it manually?

Best Answers

• apollo_ute
    apollo_ute Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have this issue with company names that contain ampersands such as Johnson and Johnson even though the ticker doesn't have special characters.

You can workaround it each time by hitting Ctl+Y to bring up the security list and then click Add Security. Enter the company and it will pull the quote one time and update the value correctly. The security price remains the static going forward and it will disappear from the Security List each time I close/open the program. It's a hack but it works for the time being.
  • rdoucet
    rdoucet Member
    Answer ✓
    Fantastic! Finally got it. Much appreciated "jacobs"

Answers

• apollo_ute
    apollo_ute Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have this issue with company names that contain ampersands such as Johnson and Johnson even though the ticker doesn't have special characters.

You can workaround it each time by hitting Ctl+Y to bring up the security list and then click Add Security. Enter the company and it will pull the quote one time and update the value correctly. The security price remains the static going forward and it will disappear from the Security List each time I close/open the program. It's a hack but it works for the time being.
  • rdoucet
    rdoucet Member
    Thanks. Will give it a try .
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    It sounds to me that the suggestion above is for Quicken Windows, not Quicken Mac.

@rdoucet Yes, you can manually enter security prices. Pull down Window > Securities to open a security (or in the Portfolio window, click can click on the security's ahem and click Edit Security from the pop-up box). In the Security's window, click on the Price History tab. Enter a data and a closing price for the day (the other values, like High, Low and Volume are optional), and click the Add button on the right. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • apollo_ute
    apollo_ute Member ✭✭
    Sorry for the miss here - my suggestion was indeed for Windows.
  • rdoucet
    rdoucet Member
    Thanks all.. My bad. I should have stated Mac (not Windows).

jacobs: I was able to follow your suggestion; but the manually updated price is not reflected in my investment portfolio. Am I missing something?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2022
    @rdoucet Are you sure the price you entered is in the price list now. In the portfolio view, set the As Of date to the date you just entered. Is the price you entered the price for the security on that date? I just tested this myself in my file, and it works as I'd expect. (And if I delete a manually-entered price, the price in the Portfolio changes back to the latest previous price, again as expected.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • rdoucet
    rdoucet Member
    Answer ✓
    Fantastic! Finally got it. Much appreciated "jacobs"
This discussion has been closed.