For a special situation, how to categorize a check I need to write?

cacampbell
cacampbell Member
A person wrote ME a check but it should have been written to another individual. I recorded the payment as income and I now need to write a check to refund that payment. to the correct person. How do write a check to avoid showing it as an expense or income. This is similar to a "transfer"... I need to transfer the check amount from my account to another person that I do not maintain an account for.

Best Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Whatever category you used when you recorded/deposited that 1st check ... use the same category when you write the new/replacement check.
    The 2 will offset each other and thus result in $0 for Income/Expense.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You just write the check and enter it with the same income category that you put on the wrong deposit so it cancels out.  It is not a transfer in your Quicken account.  Or change the deposit to another category and put your payment to the same category.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Whatever category you used when you recorded/deposited that 1st check ... use the same category when you write the new/replacement check.
    The 2 will offset each other and thus result in $0 for Income/Expense.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You just write the check and enter it with the same income category that you put on the wrong deposit so it cancels out.  It is not a transfer in your Quicken account.  Or change the deposit to another category and put your payment to the same category.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.