Why does Quicken limit Account password length? [Edited]

I used a very random approach to maintaining my passwords and now I just found out that I am limited to a 16 character password. Please tell me this is in the process of being fixed so it can support any length!

Comments

• Viperious
    Viperious Member ✭✭
    This only seems to be an issue on some accounts. I have other accounts that work with a 32-bit password.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have always questioned the value of Quicken trying to make sure passwords are valid.  To me it would be better to allow the password, and have it fail when connecting to the financial institution if it doesn't meet their requirements.

But that isn't the way currently works.  Quicken gets information from the financial institution of what is allowed by that financial institution and uses that to block you adding a password that doesn't match that information.

So, in this case it matters what financial institution you are talking about, and if the connection type is Direct Connect or Express Web Connect.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viperious said: I used a very random approach to maintaining my passwords
    As mentioned above - each financial institution shares with Quicken what they deem as password attributes, which includes length and special chars allowed.  SO - not knowing this info anywhere, it is best to try and keep it simple for each of your real world accounts so you don't get tripped up by this unknown speed bump.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Viperious
    Viperious Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    My problem stems from the fact that I can log on to a credit account with my 32 char password, but I can't use that same password in Quicken. So I had to change it to a 16 char password. If they can make it work 100% of the time, why not just make it a blob and let the stupid human manage their password. In that case, it would never be a Quicken issue.
  • Viperious
    Viperious Member ✭✭
    Has anyone been able to get Quicken to update the connector when they say the password is too long? I've run into a few providers who accept my password, but Quicken limits it.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Viperious If the connect type is Direct Connect, then only the financial institution can change it.
    If the connection type is Express Web Connect then what we have been told is the financial institution is supposed to tell Intuit what it is, and they update it.  Since you can't talk to Intuit directly you have to go through Quicken Support.
    Contact Quicken Support
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.