Treasury Direct Account

How do I set up a Treasury Direct online account in quicken windows?

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Accepted Answer
    Until the US Treasury signs the contract with Q/Intuit, you won't be able to download into this account.
    SO, just set it up as a manual/offline brokerage account.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• NotACPA
    Accepted Answer
    Until the US Treasury signs the contract with Q/Intuit, you won't be able to download into this account.
    SO, just set it up as a manual/offline brokerage account.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    @NotACPA 's answer is correct, so, if I may, I'd like to broaden this discussion.
    I recently opened a Treasury Direct account. I had heard that I-Bonds were paying 7%, a pretty good return for a safe bond.
    But it turns out that rate is only guaranteed for 6 months, one must hold the bonds for 12 months, and the maximum investment is only $10,000. So at best, the investor might earn $700 over the course of 12 months.
    It hardly seems worth the effort.
    What are other Treasury Direct account holders investing in, and is it worth it to you?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rocket J Squirrel said: What are other Treasury Direct account holders investing in, and is it worth it to you?
    you might find more insight over on the financial Bogleheads forum - mostly anchored in Vanguard discussions
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    @Rocket J Squirrel Actually, to get that $700, you'd have to receive the 7% rate for the entire year.  For the 6 month guaranteed rate you'll earn $350.
    SO, how does the rate adjust, what does it adjust to, what's the "current" 7-12 month rate?
    Without looking up those rates, I suspect that your total return will be closer to $400.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    NotACPA said:
    @Rocket J Squirrel Actually, to get that $700, you'd have to receive the 7% rate for the entire year.  For the 6 month guaranteed rate you'll earn $350.
    I know. But people on the Fido Investor Community were so excited when they saw 7% that I had to take a look. This is one case where you want inflation to stay high for the full term of the bond. But in absolute dollars, the return is so small, it hardly seems worth the effort.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited January 14
    You can actually buy $15k worth of I bonds, but only if you get an income tax refund. Total you can get is $10k electronically via TreasuryDirect and $5k in paper, yes paper, bonds but only if you buy that using your tax refund. Who but the government could come up with such a scheme. I'm not expecting a refund this year.